Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 15-CW0008na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Tried to discharge battery by pressing F2 to get to HP menu but did not work. Now when I press the power on all I get is the power button for a few seconds and then it turns off, With the power cable connected it then tries to start again and then goes off and then repeats this until I hold power button for a few seconds and remains off. The screen remains blank/ black  at all  times and no keys appear to work during the few seconds the light is on.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Success have got laptop back from repairers today no parts required it needed a BIOS update !

Don,t know how they did it would think they opened it up and removed battery.Obviously the update I did from the HP site did not work although it stated completed ok..

Thank you for all your advice

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@7Terry Greetings from the HP Community!

• Does the laptop turn off suddenly with its lights off as well? or do the lights remain on and only the screen blacks out?
  • Also, do you know if any updates were recently installed or interrupted during an update?

Meanwhile, here's what you need to do:

If Windows suddenly shuts down without warning, it might be caused by one of several issues.
A BIOS update can also resolve the issue: click here for steps.

Follow the steps in this section, in order, to run a hardware test to identify any issues with the device:

Install the latest version of the HP Hardware diagnostics (UEFI) on your device using this link: Click here for details

• Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.
  • Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.
  • On the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu, click System Tests.
  • Click Extensive Test.
  • Click Run once, or Loop until error.
  • While the test is running, the time remaining and test result for each component display on the screen.

If a component fails a test, write down the failure ID (24-digit code) for when you respond back to us.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

thanks for reply , laptop will not boot power light comes on but then goes off screen remains blank and keys are inactive. Before this happened had done a bios update from hp having given permission to identify exact model of my laptop. Update was shown to have installed successfully.

HP Recommended

Thanks for replying @7Terry

Please try these steps to recover the BIOS - HP Notebook PCs - Recovering the BIOS (Basic Input Output System)

Let me know how that goes. 

Have a great day! 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

thanks for information unfortunately no keys seem to work so have sent it to be repaired will let you know when I have feedback on repair

HP Recommended

@7Terry

Appreciate you trying the steps. If you need further assistance feel free to reach out to us.

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Success have got laptop back from repairers today no parts required it needed a BIOS update !

Don,t know how they did it would think they opened it up and removed battery.Obviously the update I did from the HP site did not work although it stated completed ok..

Thank you for all your advice

HP Recommended

As previous post pc working ok but still have original problem that it charges to 99% but no more and so will not change light from orange to green. Is battery on its way out ?

HP Recommended

Hi @7Terry

Thanks for replying. I'd suggest you Contact HP in your region regarding the battery replacement. 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.