Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

Hi, I have an HP Pavilion 15-dk0068wm.  It had been working fine until the other day I was installing some updates and I had a power surge when the BIOS update was running.  I concerned that the BIOS is corrupt and not letting it boot.  

I have tried the Windows key + "B" and the "V" key that I have seen online.  That doesn't seem to do anything.  I have also tried plugging the laptop into a monitor to see if it comes up there and it doesn't.  I have unplugged the battery and taken out the RAM.  This is a gaming laptop so it has a regular IDE hard drive and also a 

NVME SSD Solid State Drive.  I had to replace the NVM drive which went fine and I was able to install Windows but I haven't removed the IDE drive during my troubleshooting.  

Any idea on how to wake the system up so I can roll back the BIOS or re-install it?  If I need to re-install Windows 10 again that's totally fine as I've already done it once.  

Thanks for the help!  

Todd

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Anyone have an idea what is causing the black screens?  

Thanks!  

HP Recommended

Hi@DVDDude2020, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you with the  

We Understand that you are getting a blank screen after logging on to your computer. Happy to help.  

Yes. You can use the recovery flash drive created by the HP Recovery Manager or HP cloud recovery to install the OS to the M.2 SSD and use it as your boot drive and then use the original drive as storage.

Opening the notebook and upgrading it will not violate the warranty unless you damage something.    You need to be able to return the notebook to its original hardware configuration in the case of any required warranty repair

Hope this helps! Keep me posted.  

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. 

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping! 

Have a great day!  

HP Recommended

Hi, thanks for the reply.  I went ahead and created a Cloud recovery image on a flash drive but when I plug it into my laptop and keep pressing the ESC key nothing comes onto the screen.  I tried 2 different USB ports and with it plugged into the wall and unplugged both.   I also tried plugging the laptop into another monitor via HDMI and still nothing came up.   

The fans do spin and the power light lights up, but the screen remains black.  What first started this was while I was doing some updates a storm came into my area quickly and knocked out our power so I was thinking that either the BIOS or the CMOS was corrupt.  Anything else I can try?  

Thanks!  

HP Recommended

HI@DVDDude2020,

I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix: 

• Remove the battery out. If the battery is integrated and does not have a latch to release it then leave the battery inside the laptop.
  • Disconnected AC adapter from the laptop.
  • Press and hold the power button for 15 seconds.
  • Reconnect the battery and plug the AC adapter.

F6 + Power Button

• CMOS Rest ( combination of windows button and letter 'V' then push the power button ones and release the windows and letter 'V' after 5sec

If the laptop does not power on then please continue with the below steps:

• Disconnect the charger and remove the battery out.
  • Connect only the battery and check if the laptop powers on.
  • Likewise, remove the battery out (if removal battery ) and connect only the charger and check if that helps.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.