Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 15-n224sa Notebook PC (ENERGY STAR)

Hi. The laptop is not mine I'm trying to get a fix for a friend.   The power supply seems OK. When the power button is pressed, it lights up. But there is nothing on the screen. Only the caps-lock button flashes and the Wi-Fi button  lights up.  I've done the reset where you take the battery out and press power button for 60 seconds. I'm in UK. Rich

EDIT: I press Esc  when I switch laptop on. Nothing happens. It's looking like I may need to take HDD out and take data off if it's working.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@richard9300 

Software failures will generate on-screen messages, usually about not finding an Operating System or not being able to boot. When the screen is blank, the PC is experiencing a major hardware failure.
--------------------
If the CapsLock key is blinking or there is beeping, read this HP information on the likely cause of the hardware failure based on the blinking or beeping patters.
For laptops, this HP thread describes the different blink and beep codes: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01732674?jumpid=reg_r1002_usen_c-001_title_r0001
--------------------
To determine the cause with hardware failures, you have to be able run diagnostics. We have no way of accessing your PC from here, so we can not do that for you. You have to do it yourself.

You do this by pressing the Esc key repeatedly when rebooting and then, when the HP Startup Menu appears, selecting Diagnostics (usually F2) and letting it run.

If it is NOT possible to run diagnostics, or if that does not work, then there is NOTHING more you can do by yourself -- and there is NOTHING we can do because we have no way of accessing your PC from here to run diagnostics or repair hardware.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@richard9300 

Software failures will generate on-screen messages, usually about not finding an Operating System or not being able to boot. When the screen is blank, the PC is experiencing a major hardware failure.
--------------------
If the CapsLock key is blinking or there is beeping, read this HP information on the likely cause of the hardware failure based on the blinking or beeping patters.
For laptops, this HP thread describes the different blink and beep codes: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01732674?jumpid=reg_r1002_usen_c-001_title_r0001
--------------------
To determine the cause with hardware failures, you have to be able run diagnostics. We have no way of accessing your PC from here, so we can not do that for you. You have to do it yourself.

You do this by pressing the Esc key repeatedly when rebooting and then, when the HP Startup Menu appears, selecting Diagnostics (usually F2) and letting it run.

If it is NOT possible to run diagnostics, or if that does not work, then there is NOTHING more you can do by yourself -- and there is NOTHING we can do because we have no way of accessing your PC from here to run diagnostics or repair hardware.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hi. I've managed to get the HDD out and it's working. I may try some sort of BIOS fix see if that fixes the laptop. If not, then the laptop will probably be "retired". Rich

HP Recommended

Three long blinks on the caps lock. All white. Going to look that up. Hope this is a valid sequence. Continuouus red light on the wireless button (f12). EDIT: But is there a 3.0. I've not seen that in print.

EDIT: Fixed. I took one of the two RAM modules out. And I now get boot-up. Yay!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.