Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Laptop 15-cw0xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I got this laptop less than three weeks ago, but a few days ago it starting freezing whenever I turn it off. It goes to the shutting down screen, but then remains frozen indefinitely with the screen black, the power button light on, and the fan still humming. The only way to get it to turn off is by doing a hard power off (holding the power button down for a few seconds) which is not acceptable for a brand new computer.

So far I've tried doing all available HP and Windows updates, performing a power reset, factory resetting a few times, turning off fast startup and updating the BIOS. None of these have solved the problem though. Any ideas, or do I just return the laptop?

EDIT: The laptop has an AMD Ryzen 5 2500U processor so any solutions involving use of the Intel Management Engine Interface won't work.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@sdh2019 

If you do have the option to return it, then you have a couple of different options.

If you want to work with HP to get it working right, then you need to contact HP Customer Support to have them put you in touch with Tech Support to see if they can troubleshoot it remotely.  If they then can not fix it, you need to explore your options for replacing it under warranty.

If you live in the US or Canada, contact information is on this page: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/phone-assist.html#section1

If you live elsewhere, contact information is on this page: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-contact-us.html

NOTE: After you get through, stay on the line until you are finally able to talk to some one -- it can take a while!

If you have trouble finding a phone number, then try: 1 (650) 857-1501.

You can also try contacting Tech Support directly using 1 (800) 474-6836.

If you don't want to bother with that, you should just return it -- if you can get a full refund.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.