Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

A moment ago with an uptime of 1 day, 22:39 my keyboard and touchpad stopped responding.

Never again HP.

HP Recommended

Using my HP dm1 4125sa (e-450 +radeon graphics), I am also experiencing a total freeze with no external keyboard, network access or sysrq response. Also with multiple kernel versions across several distros.  Thinking it was a temperature related issue, I have been having success for a day or two with no freezes, by forcing the cpu into powersave mode and thus limiting the cpu speed to the lowest frequency. However, I have now switched to the kernel boot option mentioned previously "thermal.off=1" and re-enabled ondemand cpu control. So far, over a couple of days, I have had no freezes.  I will report back in a few days or if I get another freeze.

Two weeks later, no crashes at all.  Using both Debian Wheezy and Ubuntu 12.04. I've never had the keyboard/mouse only freeze so there are clearly more than one problem here.  Mine however, complete freeze, is resolved with the "thermal.off=1" kernel setting.

HP Recommended
Thankyou. Have accepted this solution.
HP Recommended

Just a follow up.  After talking with HP support I returned my Dm1-1040us with the keyboard/touchpad freezing issues.  They sent me a replacement and I am not having any issues now.  After a week of solid use no freezes.

HP Recommended

Same problem on DM1-4000SB. Found a thread on how to simulate the keyboard lockup problem. Still no solution here. Please if somebody finds how to overcome the keyboard lockups, please let me know. It will be immensely appreciated.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1026697

simulate by following ...

Insert a USB drive, mount drive on /mnt/temp
    dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/temp/zero.txt bs=1M count=1000

HP Recommended

Hi Guys,

Firtly thanks for this post.

I am using a HP DM1 with E-450 with Linux Mint running on it. I was facing constant freeze of keyboard and mouse too. But after I disabled the thermal module from the cmdline using thermaal=off, my laptop has been very stable.

But I noticed considerable drop in battery life between Win7 and Linux (7hrs vs 4hr). I figured out Linux was never using the CPU freq scaller and hence battery life was so low. The Scaler Applet was not allowing me to set the CPU mode to "powersaver".

I fix this, I installed a few modules like laptop-mode-tools, cpufrequtils, sysfsutils.. After this, I am able to scale the frequency and I can see tremondous improvement in battery life (6.5 hrs). But on my next reboot, the Laptop freezed again!!

I am wondering, if I am undoing the thermal=off by installing various power management software?

my lsmod lists a Laptop module k10temp (I am not sure if this is because of the power management tools I installed)

Can someone please tell me if k10temp is the same module which load if thermal is not set to off in cmdline?

Is there anyway to scale the CPU freq to inscrease battery life without causing a freeze??

Thanks in Advance,

Sharath

HP Recommended

Alright this thread plus another thread solved my hp dm1-4010us E450 problem so far.

Bios f.16

I installed latest AMD propetary driver.

I let Ubuntu 12.04 install the broad com driver for wireless/bluetooth.

I blacklisted 

blacklist sp5100_tco

blacklist btusb

I also set grub to this.

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash thermal.off=1"

What I noticed. The thermal thing works with the fan. Now I can hear the fan and if the laptop gets hot it starts to spin the fan even faster. 

I still had problems with keyboard with the thermal.off=1 with blacklist sp5100_tco 

I blacklisted the bluetooth driver "blacklist btusb" and after that I noticed no more keyboard problems. 

It has been 2 solid days and no issues. Normally I cant go 10 minutes before a problem.

I do feel like the laptop is slower in linux GUI than it is in Windows but its stable so I am okay with that.

Hope this helps somebody since it was a nighmare for me.

HP Recommended

Minor update.

I went three days with out keyboard lock up.

I then made the mistake of using the computer while charging it for once.

Not sure why but charging seems to cause the problem again.

Sadly though the keyboard locked up during this issue. I did a quick suspend and I was fine again.

Now I have to figure out what changed when I plugged in the charging cord.

HP Recommended

Only thing that seems to help the keyboard is 

blacklist btusb

The thermal and tco didnt make a difference.

HP Recommended

Quick Updates

On my HP DM1-4010us using Kubuntu 12.04.1

Things I recommend that added stability:

Setting Grub to this:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash thermal.off=1"

That does let my bios do the cooling and it seems to help reduce temp.

#Black list the blue truth driver
blacklist btusb

This seems to really stop the keyboard from locking up. 

Drivers: Dont use the AMD drivers they cause the CPU temp to stay at 135-140F

Use the Open source drivers [Aditional drivers] and go into Catalyst Control Center then to PowerPlay then enable power play and set when pugged in and on battery power to Maxium battery.

The only problem with the open source is after they install they do a pci_auth fail which I assume they were looking for the video card on a PCI bus and did not find it, not realizing its on the CPU. After it fails you will reboot and get a blank screen, causing you to reboot again but after that the drivers seem to be installed and your temp is lower than before.

This alone caused my Idle temps to drop to 120F. Which normally Hover at 140F. 

I also used the Open source Drivers for the WIFI it seems to get the strongest signal strength.

Things that I didnt feel increase or decrease stability.

#black listing this.

blacklist sp5100_tco

I didnt notice a difference either way as of yet.

Problems that still exsit.

When plugging AC adaptor to charge laptop while I am using it will still cause a keyboard lock up. I wont get a keyboard lockup when not charging it. If I am charging the laptop while using it, I will get a keyboard lock up.

So its a minor success. Just need to figure out how to stop keyboard lock up during AC charge and I am good to go.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.