Post new question
Question

Top Student
Message 1 of 2 (280 Views)

HP Pavilion DM3 keeps blue screening

Hello,

I posted this before but didn't get resolved.

Product Name: HP Pavilion DM3

I've had this DM3 for about 9 months; it's blue screened on me in the past but in the past month it's been doing it alot more. I can't even have it on for more than 5-10 minutes without it bluescreening. I've set the Automatic Restart to off so I can view the blue screen message but it doesn't say or mention anything specific like a driver name, etc. There are number at the bottom that look like memory addresses: 0x00007 and such. The blue screen message said something about doing a diagnostic on memory or to do some kind of memory check.

As far as details on its specs, it has an AMD Neo X2 Dual Core processor (L335) with 1.6 Ghz and 4G of ram.

Any help is appreciated.

I think I have isolated the problem: looks like it has to do with the WiFi adapter (it's an Atheros AR5009 802.11a/g/n).

I noticed when I was in Safe Mode with Networking (after a crash), it still blue screened. When the choice screen came up again, I chose basic Safe Mode and it didn't blue screen.

So, I rebooted and started normally but this time turned off the WiFi adapter using the button on the right side of the laptop. This time, no blue screen and doesn't blue screen at all with it off.

I hooked up a Cat5 Ethernet cable to the port on the left side and got internet fine and no blue screen.

I travel quite a bit and looking back I notice that I get these blue screens on specific wifi hotspots - more recently than in the past 9 months.

Could it be a bug in the Atheros driver? Perhaps if the wifi hotspot is not on 802.11a/g/n but rather b/c/d..or whatever other letter? I noted the wifi routers that it doesn't blue screen (or at least not often). The only one that it hasn't blue screened with is the Cisco LinkSys E3000.

BTW, I looked for the C:\Windows\Minidump folder but it doesn't show in Explorer. I'm running the MSDT right now..

0 Kudos
Student
Message 2 of 2 (244 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion DM3 keeps blue screening

Same thing is happening with me.  Is there an update we can use.  This is very anoying to say the least.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation