sbg_consulting Student
Student
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Pavilion DV7-4177nr no boot blinking CAPS LOCK and F12 solid led amber light

I'm also seeing this issue . HP Pavilion g6-b50us, 4GB RAM, Windows 7.  On boot, I get a blank screen, amber F12, Caps Lock blinks every 5 seconds. Here are the steps I've tried so far:

• Hard Reset: I've removed the battery, pressed the power button for 10, 30, 60 seconds, re-inserted the battery and rebooted. Fail, no change : blank screen, amber F12, Caps Lock blinks every 5 seconds.
  • I've removed the battery *and* the CMOS battery, pressed the power button for 10, 30, 60 seconds, reinstalled the batteries, and rebooted. Fail, no change.
  • I've swapped out known good RAM for the existing RAM, and have also rebooted with no RAM. Fail, no change.
  • I've swapped out RAM and tried all the above reset procedures. Fail, no change.
  • I've connected to an external VGA monitor in all the above scenarios. Fail, no change. VGA monitor appears to never be detected during boot attempts under Auto-detect or Analog connection.

The hard drive sat in a rubberized caddy, which appeared to be heat-fused in its location and was difficult to extract. The hard drive is readable, but does not appear to have suffered any thermal damage.

Is there any way to interrogate the BIOS, chipset, video, or components to determine a root cause and whether it's fixable or not?

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
19004 18962 1240 1990
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @sbg_consulting,

Thank you for showing your interest in HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for the First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

As I understand the computer is not booting into the windows anymore, Don't worry I'll try my best to help you with this,

Kudos to you for trying out the steps before reaching out to us.

To provide an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

What is the sequence of the blinks? (Example: 3 blinks and then pause 3 blinks again, in a loop)

Please click on the below links once you identify the blink code and resolve the issue:

Troubleshooting LED Blink Codes or Beep Codes During Startup or Boot

Computer Does Not Start and Emits a LED or Beep Code

If the Caps Lock light blinks continuously, this clearly indicates a hardware issue with the CPU failure. I would personally suggest you contact our HP phone support for available service related options. If your product is out of warranty please choose paid options to get the tech support number.

Please use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone numberCase number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

Keep me posted for any other assistance,

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
skohler Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Pavilion dv6 - computer turns on, but black screen.  caps lock blinks and f12 button is amber.  I am happy to upgrade computer, but want to get files off this current non-working one.  Is that possible?

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation