Student
1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Pavilion Laptop screen will not wake up in sleep mode

HP Pavilion 14 Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After a period of non-use, the laptop goes into "sleep" mode where the screen goes completely black and the white power light is a steady white color (i.e. not flashing).  At that point, I am unable to "wake" up the laptop by clicking a key, pushing the power button or clicking the mouse.  Nothing works.  I have to hold down the power button and do a hard boot.  Very annoying.  Any fixes?

Note:  I went to the settings and chose "never" for sleep mode.  That does not fix the problem.

2 REPLIES
Provost Provost
Provost
13336 1252 2970
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@TinmanF16

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

With Win10, Microsoft enabled a new form of hibernation known as FastStartup (not to be confused with Fast Boot, which is a different UEFI booting option). This is ENABLED by default in Win10 and while this is supposed to speed up Restart, in some cases, it actually causes problems in hybrid sleep and hibernation -- problems that don't go away until you DISABLE it.

There are two ways to disable FastStartup in Win8/10; (1) through the Control Panel, and (2) through an elevated command prompt.

Control Panel - Open Control Panel --> Power Options.
Select "Choose what the power buttons do"
Select "Change settings that are currently unavailable"
At the bottom of the Window, under Shutdown settings, uncheck the box regarding fast startup

Elevated command prompt - run the following command:
REG ADD "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Power" /V HiberbootEnabled /T REG_dWORD /D 0 /F

In both cases, reboot Windows.

NOW, FastStartup is disabled.

Hopefully, that will stop your PC from hibernating.

Good Luck

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
KenWoodard Top Student
Top Student
7 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

WAWood -

I have the same problem with my HP Pavilion 17-g184cy,  Windows 10 Pro X64 Redstone 4 .  I tried the steps you provided to TinmanF16.

Would you know of any other posts I might try?  My workaround right now is to set the screen saver to "never."  Before moving the laptop, I  save all documents, close all apps and shutdown.

Thanks!

Ken Woodard

612-245-4939 

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation