Post new question
Question

Honor Student
Message 1 of 6 (244 Views)

HP Pavilion Notebook 15 won't boot

Product Name: HP Pavilion Notebook - 15-p287
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I have ongoing issues with my HP Pavilion Notebook - 15-P287SA, Windows 10. 

Yesterday it would not boot, instead it flashed the caps-lock LED at me once which I beleive is a CPU issue. I did a hard reset on it (took the battery out ect.) and it booted and worked normally all day.

This moring it again won't boot again but this time it beeps twice, waits a few seconds and then beeps twice again, five tinmes in total, and then it flashes the caps-lock LED twice, waits, and then twice again. It won't boot at all, even after a hard reset. 

What does the beeping mean, what is the problem here? 

0 Kudos
Retired
Message 2 of 6 (213 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion Notebook 15 won't boot

Hi @jonstarbuck,

Welcome to the HP Forum! It is a terrific place to find answers and tips! For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide. First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More

I understand that when you boot your notebook, you see the LEDs flashing twice,pause and then repeats. Here is a link to HP Notebook PCs - Troubleshooting LED Blink Codes or Beep Codes During Startup or Boot. You will note that two beeps indicate a corrupted BIOS. Here is a link to HP Notebook PCs - Restoring the BIOS to aid with resolving this difficulty. Please keep me apprised of your progress. 

To express appreciation for my post please click the Thumbs Up Icon”.  If my post resolves the issue you are experiencing, please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find what worked for you!

Sparkles1

Honor Student
Message 3 of 6 (197 Views)

Hi Sparkles1,

Thank you for yoour help.

I have followed the instructions and found the correct BIOS utility (HP Pavilion Notebook - 15-p287sa - Windows 10) called "sp72549.exe"

I download "sp72549.exe" to another computer but it crashes when run; "HP Flash Utility Has Stopped Workiing". I have downloaded it several times with the same result.

The other computer is a 64-bit machine running Windows 7. 

Any ideas? 

Thank you,

Jon.

Retired
Message 4 of 6 (182 Views)

Hi @jonstarbuck,

Thank you for the update. Try installing a previous version of the BIOS.  On the software and driver page choose Windows 8.1 as the OS. Click on BIOS. Click on previous versions and you will see two others.  If you are still unable to recover the BIOS, please contact HP Support for further assistance. Contact HP Support Please let me know the outcome.

Sparkles1

Honor Student
Message 5 of 6 (176 Views)

Hi @Sparkles1

Thank you for your help. 

If I pick a differnt OS it downloads the same file, sp72549.exe. I have tried it anyway and I get the same result, "HP Flash Utility Has Stopped Workiing". 
I have contacted HP Support and they say that I am out of warranty, this is incorrect under both EU and UK law.
I am returning it to the retailer to let them deal with it. 

Thank you again for your help. 

Jon.

Retired
Message 6 of 6 (173 Views)

Hi @jonstarbuck,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post serial numbers and case details. If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works  please review this link. 

First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More

Sparkles1

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation