Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion DV7 (dv7-3110eg)
Other

Something went wrong...

I have a HP Pavilion Entertainment PC and suddenly didn't work, after power on the NumLock and the CapLock leds blink 2 times per 3 seconds. HP Support says it a boot problem.

I googled the net, read lot of solutions, but nothing works.

When I keep pressing Win+B keys while push power button, the notebook starts, still blank screen, still blinking led and after about 5 seconds it restart (!) itself. But I can't get the BIOS back... (Win+V doesn't work either.)

Replaced the CMOS battery, didn't solved the problem!

I tried pushing ESC / F2 / F6 / F8 while power on the machine, but nothing happened.

How can a BIOS get corrupted? How can I restore the factory BIOS (I've already downloaded from HP)?

I created a recovery pendrive with the new BIOS (and the HP Diagnostic Tool) but I can't make it work...

Could you please help me?

Sincerelly,

GSTLeslie

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi @GSTLeslie,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

This is a wonderful place to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips.

I reviewed your post and understand that the computer is not booting to windows and the caps lock light is blinking twice.

I’d love to help!

Awesome job on diagnosing the issue correctly and performing smart troubleshooting before posting your question on HP forums. Kudos to you on that score.

Follow the steps in the below article to restore the bios.

http://hp.care/2iCzhMD

Here is video “How to restore the bios”.

http://hp.care/2jf7Vt7

Let me know how it goes. Awaiting your reply!

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Good day! Take care 🙂

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Hello!

Thank, you for your message, I read that and followed the links you suggested. The only problem is that the Win+B (or Win+V) combination doesn't work - as I wrote before.

I have a new HDD in the machine without the recovery partition(s), so this is why I tried to solve the problem with a USB pendrive.

But the notebook restarted itself when I press Win+B kés right after powering it on.

Maybe the pendrive I created is not correct. I tried to use the HP's recovery pendrive creator utility, but it doesn't run on a non-HP notebook. I used my other (Toshiba) notebook with Win10 on it!

Could you please help me to create a perfect pendrive to restore the BIOS?

Sincerelly, GSTLeslie
HP Recommended

Hi @GSTLeslie,

Please follow the steps in the below video to create a bios recovery flash drive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3S3KgcT-Ao&feature=youtu.be

Let me know how it goes.

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi!

I just viewed the video about BIOS update... Thank you!

My BIOS program different (I think it is older) from what I can see in the video.

It doesn't offer to create recovery usb, it just (want to) update the current BIOS...

I checked the downloaded .exe (sp47531.exe) file and it contains a BIOS image (I think) with the extension of .fd

instead of .bin.

I downloaded another BIOS file (sp69887.exe) and this contains the BIOS System Update Utility. I run it and

created a recovery flash drive. There are *.bin and *.s12 files in the \Hewlett-Packard\BIOS\Current folder.

Should I replace these files with my BIOS file (the 3635F13.FD file) and give it a try? 

I can't find *.bin BIOS file for my computer...

I searched for BIOS update informations/solutions for my Pavilion and I got this:

There is a newer BIOS, filename: sp48896.exe

What do you think, which file doesn't exists on HP's FTP site??! Yapp, this one!! Why?

No such file:

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp48501-49000/sp48896.exe

But the previous and the next one is there... 😮

Sincerelly,

GSTLeslie

HP Recommended

Hi @GSTLeslie,

I recommend you contact HP phone support to further diagnose the issue.

Here is how you can get in touch with the phone support.

Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Enter Product number or select to autodetects

Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Scroll down and click on HP contact options - click on Get phone number.

Good day! Take care 🙂

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi!

I tried with the .fd file (on a plain USB pendrive), but the recovery proccess beeps four times - it means bad or corrupted BIOS file. So, the .fd file isn't good for this method.

As a HP Employee could you send me a link where I can find a binary dump of the BIOS I need?

Or do you (I mean HP) have recovery CDs what I can download from your site? 

I loved this notebook and don't want to throw it away...

I try to find a same notebook with original HDD, then I could (maybe) use the recovery partitions to put the correct BIOS

to my bricked machine.

I think I have to send the machine to a HP service in Hungary, maybe they could fix this BIOS problem... Maybe...

Sincerelly,

GSTLeslie

HP Recommended

Anyway... I think the support via phone won't work, 'cause I know what to do, just I haven't got the right BIOS binary/dump file to reload! But, I'd like to say a big thank you, because of your support... 🙂

GSTLeslie

HP Recommended

Hi @GSTLeslie,

It looks like you were interacting with @The_Fossette, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out, 
I'm the Jeet_Singh & I'm at your service. 

As I understand you have diagnosed the issue to be a possible hardware failure. I would request you to Contact HP for a hardware service as the motherboard may require a tattoo/Bios Flash.  

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/?openCLC=true

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get the phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

If you have any troubles, let me know and I will do my best to help!

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.