Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

I'm having problems with my laptop (HP Pavilion dv4 1428dx) the last thing I did was put it to sleep, then cameback and tried to wake it up but it would not start up. All the lights are on, but the screen is black and the only thing I hear is the fan moving. The caps lock and num lock keys have a blinking light, not really sure what that means. The power LED is on, the battery LED is on, but the hard drive LED is not on. This computer is almost 3 years old and I have never had a major problem like this until recently. If anyone has any solutions I would gladly appreciate them. 

Thank you for your time,

Freshman4002

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The blink codes state caps lock/num lock because it could be just the caps lock, just the numlock, or both.  If both are blinking, then it counts as one blink for each time.

If it is blinking just one time and pausing for 3-4 seconds, then that indicates the processor POST test failed.  A processor failure usually requires a new processor, but some have been able to open the notebook to reseat the process and apply new thermal paste to get the issue resolved.

If it is under warranty, I would recommend contacting HP for service. 

If it is out of warranty, then I would contact HP to get a quote and compare that to the cost of a local PC shop to weigh your options. 

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓

View solution in original post

61 REPLIES 61
HP Recommended

Hi,

Try the following.

Shutdown the notebook ( if you have to, just hold down the power button until it turns off ), remove the AC Adapter and remove the battery. Now hold down the Power Button on the notebook for a full minute. Re-insert the battery, plug in the AC Adapter and see if the notebook will start.  If it does and you get a video output, you will almost certainly get a screen telling Windows didn't shutdown correctly - use the arrow keys to select 'Start windows normally' and hit enter.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Thanks David for replying, I tried what you told me but I'm still getting the same problem. The computer tries to turn on, LEDs are all on except the screen and the fan is on. I don't hear any hard drive or anything else starting up, I just get a black screen and the lights near the caps lock and num lock are blinkng.

HP Recommended

Hi,

If there is a repetitive sequence to these 'blinks', see if you can match them to the table below.

Capture.PNG

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

I most positive it's a BIOS corruption failure, based on this chart. I have 2 blinks on the caps and num lock. And both blink at the same time with a 3 second interval in between blinks. Anyway to fix a BIOS corruption failure?

HP Recommended

Hi,

Follow the procedure starting on Page 69 of your Maintenance & Service Guide to remove the CMOS ( RTC ) battery - leave this battery out for a full hour before reconnecting.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended
By doing this do I lose any information that I have stored on my computer? I will try this and get back to you as soon as possible.
Thanks again!
HP Recommended

Hi,

No, this will not cause you to lose any data from the Hard Drive.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

okay I finished taking it out and putting it back in, now do i just start the computer normally?

HP Recommended

Hi,

Yes, see if the notebook will now start normally.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.