Mohammed92
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

HP Pavilion "Boot device not found" Hard drive check not installed

HP Pavilion 11-n023nx x360 PC

My HP Pavilion goes to black screen with "Boot device not found" message.I have done all of the restarts HP suggests. I have checked the internal connections which are all good. I have done the f10 start to get to set up utility, chose f9 to setup defaults. It does not appear anything is happening, but I exit saving changes.  I have tried to do a quick check of the hard drive. A message comes up "Smart Check not installed" It also does this with extensive check. Memory tests good. Is there anything more I can do?

1 REPLY 1
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
21,566 21,521 1,818 2,909
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

HP Pavilion "Boot device not found" Hard drive check not installed

@Mohammed92 Welcome to HP Community!

I have a few steps to help you get through this situation:

Step 1: Perform a hard reset (does not affect your personal files)

HP Notebook PCs - Performing a Hard Reset or Forced Reset 

Step 2: Restore BIOS default settings 

Step 3: Test the hard drive using HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI (In your case, Skip to Step 5) 

Step 4: Reseat the hard drive (here's a video that shows how to re-seat the drive: Click here (Generic) 

Step 5: Perform an HP System Recovery 

  

If none of the above actions resolved the error condition, back up your personal data and then perform an HP System Recovery on the notebook. See one of the following documents for instructions: 

Click here for instructions. 

If nothing helps, we may be looking at a hardware malfunction within the hard drive, also the "Smart check not installed" means the hard drive is not getting detected and I would suggest performing step 4 once more, just to be sure.

Let me know how that pans out,

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,

That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,

Just in case you don't get back to us within 24 - 48hrs, and have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation