Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

HI,

I have HP pavilion dv7 which won't let me in BIOS to change boot order.  

I have windows 8 32 bit installed and it keep booting normally no matter which key  (Esc,F9,F10,F1,F2 etc) at start up, is pressed or keep pressed.. it wont stop booting and wont let me in BIOS. All it does it that if keys are pressed it will start beeping but then boot anyway.

I want to boot it from USB and install WIndows 8.1 64 bit.  

plz help.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

This might help you as it solved my problem yesterday. I turned off fast boot (or quick boot) in the PC Settings menu. I must have turned it on one day not knowing it prevents you from all startup options. I'm at work and do not have access to much of the internet, but google "disable fast boot windows 8" or "disable quickboot." There were quite a few webpages that walk through it.

I am now able to access BIOS.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

try holding the win+b keys down then turn on computer with those keys held down, this should recover the BIOS

after doing this, try accessing the menu's again (esc/F10)

*****I do not work for HP*****
*****click the purple thumbs up button to say thanks*****
*****If I solved your problem, help others by clicking accept as solution*****
HP Recommended

no sir,

I tried 4 times. even took out battery. when windows and b button pressed as you suggested, it kept beeping and stopped at the invent logo  screen but when buttons released, it booted normally again. did not enter bios at all or any other option,. also tried esc and f10. 

HP Recommended

only other step i can think of is trying to flash the BIOS using a USB flash drive. You should be able to find the BIOS updater from the link below after selecting your product and OS. You should be able to use this tool to either update the BIOS straight from the computer since you are able to boot into windows or alternatively you can create a USB BIOS flash drive to flash the BIOS with

*****I do not work for HP*****
*****click the purple thumbs up button to say thanks*****
*****If I solved your problem, help others by clicking accept as solution*****
HP Recommended

i have updated the BIOS but still can't enter BIOS setup using any keys.

this is really frustrating. 

thanks for your suggestions though.

HP Recommended

Hello HP,

Do you reply to threads in this forum?

HP Recommended

I can't believe that there is no solution to this. I'm experiencing the same problem and have not found a solution anywhere.

HP Recommended

I have a Pavillion dv6 with the same issue. However, I hear everything running, lights flashing, but no screen, as well. It is just black. I get a flash of Hp logo, but it then goes to black. (so monitor is working) I have tried everything that is on the troubleshooting Hp site for this problem. I am wondering if I buy a repair/recovery disc for Vista, if that will work? I am not sure if it will boot from that disc. Also I had read somewhere that sometimes replacing the Sata cord will fix issue. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

HP Recommended

This might help you as it solved my problem yesterday. I turned off fast boot (or quick boot) in the PC Settings menu. I must have turned it on one day not knowing it prevents you from all startup options. I'm at work and do not have access to much of the internet, but google "disable fast boot windows 8" or "disable quickboot." There were quite a few webpages that walk through it.

I am now able to access BIOS.

HP Recommended

I think I have found the solution to the problem about not entering BIOs on HP Pavilion notebooks as I was encountering the same problem.

Here are the steps:

1. Turn off the computer.
  2. Hold down the windows key + b and power on the laptop without letting go.
  3. Here's the magic: while holding down windows key + b, then press F2.
  4. The laptop will enter BIOS recovery mode, and you should be all set from there.

Hope this helps,

grahamsutt12

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.