Highlighted
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Pavillion not viewing new SSD as bootable

Pavillion dv6 laptop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This laptop does not seem to want to boot from either of the two different SSDs I have. I've tried copying the existing Windows 10 (migration from Win 7) from the original hard drive using various methods, and the copy always goes fine, but the laptop simply won't boot. I've used all the bootrec.exe commands, the legacy options is enabled in the BIOS, I've tried 3 different revisions of BIOS. But what really is mysterious is that I can't even get this laptop to boot from either SSD after doing a clean install of Windows 10 on either. And the startup problems are all different. After booting the WIndows 10 install USB stick in UEFI mode, and installing WIndows 10, I simply got a black screen on the first attempt to boot after the clean install -- no error message, and it does the same thing every time I reboot. Then I tried booting the USB stick using the legacy boot option, and after installing Windows 10, I get a "No OS found", "A disk read error occured - Press CTRL-ALT-DELETE to restart".  The SSDs are a Mushkin Reactor 1TB and an AData SU800 1TB. It's as if this laptop only wants to boot from the original 5400 RPM hard drive. I've even tried to install Windows 7 and Linux on both of these SSDs on this HP laptop, and despite installing just fine, they WILL NOT BOOT. They throw up an I/O error after clean installs. Only the original 5400 RPM hard drive will boot, and it's as slow as a slug with a broken leg in Windows 10. Is it possible HP has somehow tied this laptop's motherboard to the original hard drive in the firmware, and will literally only work with it?

Normally, as a tech, I can figure practically any problem, but this one stumps me. Can anyone offer any advice?

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
5,247 5,248 208 345
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Pavillion not viewing new SSD as bootable

@anubis44 Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that you are unable to boot from the SSD.

Do not worry. I will try to fix the issue.

Please remove the hard drive and boot from the SSD and check.

Clone your HD to the SSD > Go to Settings > Update & Security > Recovery > Advanced Start Up > Restart Now > Choose Device (HD's might not be labeled, it will be the second option under the main one preselected) > Start up off SSD > Wipe and format your original HD (Might have to use a third party as Disk Management may not allow a total wipe) > Restart Computer.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation