Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Up! Up!

HP Recommended

As mentioned by @GOLD_MASTER your battery has been used.  It is possible you need to do a manual calibration due to a bios upgrade.  Battery calibration is done thru the HP support assistant as explained here 

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/ish_2268927-1713329-16

Overcharging the battery can be a serious problem.  Fortunately, your battery (under $20 USD) can be easily removed unlike my  Surface Pro 4 where the overcharge swelled the battery and pushed the screen out.  Microsoft had an update for my SP4 that allowed me to set the charge to %50 which was worthless as it came out after the problem. %80 might have worked better but that was not an option I have so I disabled the feature and I no longer leave the laptop plugged in as I normally did.

I assume your system is in warrantee.  You can make service call to complain about the feature not working anymore.  You should tell the service person that the system overheats when  in use and charging at same time and you are concerned about it catching on fire while on your frequent plane trips.  That worked for me but my SP4 was well known to have a serious battery problem and they swapped out my battery shortly after I made the call.

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it
HP Recommended

I am wondering if someone could reproduce this issue on HP 440 G6.

If it will be confirmed, it is not a battery issue.

HP Recommended

@n0-name .

Have you already performed a rollback?

I am proudly Mexican, a Computer Systems Engineer and a community volunteer.
If you found the answer helpful and/or you want to say “thanks”? Click the “ Yes ” box below Did I help solve the problem? don´t forget to click “ Accept as a solution” , someone who has the same query may find this solution and be helped by it.

HP Recommended

@GOLD_MASTER the battery is fine. Where did i said that it cannot reach 100% capacity? How did you decided that the battery has lost the ability to retain the necessary energy and suffered some kind of wear and tear / lost its capacity without  providiing diagnostic information  about this battery ??? The battery can reach 100% capacity with no problem. My problem is NOT related with battery capacity and / or its performance. Read the entire post again and again.

HP Recommended

What @GOLD_MASTER says is correct and so are you and there could well be a fault with the BIOS as I read were the power module was updated.

There are two battery parameters:  Design Capacity and Full Capacity.  Design is always larger and if not then

the battery needs to be calibrated.  IMHO this can happen after a bios upgrade.

I am no privy to HP's charging design algorithm but I can give an analysis based on a reading of the BatteryReport

BeemerBiker_0-1642427885750.jpeg

There are two reports here you may want to look at

https://stateson.net/docs/SP4_battery-report.html

https://stateson.net/docs/AcerV5_battery-report.html

I suspect that the %100 charge you see is due to the "full charge" but that value is under the %80 of the Design Charge.

If you do a battery calibration you MAY get the %80 report working again.  It could also be that HP is handling the charging a different way  and is failing (bug in bios) to report %80 of full charge.

It would be helpful if you could post your battery report. someplace where I could download it for an analysis.  If you do then can you give permission for me to use it in subsequent studies?

Acer V5-471p
DESIGN CAPACITY      32,560 mWh (most recent is always shown)
FULL CHARGE CAPACITY 22,304 mWh

PERIOD FULL             CHARGE CAPACITY DESIGN CAPACITY
2018-09-10 - 2018-11-17 34,341 mWh      36,584 mWh (battery was replaced)
2018-11-17 - 2018-11-29 28,296 mWh      32,692 mWh
2021-12-26 - 2022-01-02 22,304 mWh      32,560 mWh 

Surface Pro 4 (back to life 2021-12-26) with 3rd battery and screen

DESIGN CAPACITY      38,152 mWh
FULL CHARGE CAPACITY 34,432 mWh

Connected battery first time 10-24-2021

PERIOD                  FULL CHARGE CAPACITY DESIGN CAPACITY
2021-10-24 - 2021-10-31 40,980 mWh           38,152 mWh

clearly appears to be "overcharged"
The screen flickered and I had to replace the screen a month later
The system was not usable due to flickering so was unable to calibrate battery
2021-12-26 - 2022-01-02 36,639 mWh           38,152 mWh
I did a calibration and Full Charge is now being measured correctly

Manual calibration is recommended every 2-3 months.

HP Recommended

powercfg /batteryreport

Installed batteries

Information about each currently installed battery
 BATTERY 1
NAMEPrimary
MANUFACTURERHewlett-Packard
SERIAL NUMBER35944 2019/08/02
CHEMISTRYLIon
DESIGN CAPACITYmWh
FULL CHARGE CAPACITYmWh
CYCLE COUNT79
HP Recommended

The drivers need to be reinstalled as they are not providing any measurements.  Note there are 2 versions of win11 below

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-probook-440-g6-notebook-pc/23200928

You should use the device manager to "uninstall" the drivers and then do a scan for new hardware to re-install.  If that does not fix the problem then download new drivers.

Start with the chipset drivers and if that does not work then ...

To avoid downloading ALL drivers, look at the date of the existing drivers and download from the above link the ones that are newer.

It is possible the "battery driver" is a Microsoft generic "handler" for the real HP driver.  On second thought you might be better off installing all the drivers.

Good Luck with Win11 

[edit]  I think you need to be online to run the powercfg test as the design info for the battery has to come from somewhere.

It appears your battery is fairly old: October 2019

I am not sure how shelf life counts against batteries lifetimes.

HP Recommended

@BeemerBiker

no, the is no problem with the battery.

@GOLD_MASTER has not read the entire post and assumed that the problem is related to battery issue, without providing proof facts of his assument (links to documentation or KB articles).

Do you understand how the option 'Battery Health Manager - Maximize my battery health' works? If yes, how it is related to a battery health and its wear\degrade? The answer is - no way. It seeks the current battery charge level. If the battery charge does not stop at 80% and continues charging up to 100% , this function seems to be broken.

I think i can check this issue by downgrading BIOS to the previous release (01.17.00 Rev.A)

HP Recommended

Download and install the following bios update: https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp136501-137000/sp136533.exe

01.18.00 Rev.A for Windows 11.

Download and install the following drivers:
https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp101001-101500/sp101377.exe
https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp113501-114000/sp113546.exe

Finally, restart the computer and check if the configuration you made from the bios is now respected.

I am proudly Mexican, a Computer Systems Engineer and a community volunteer.
If you found the answer helpful and/or you want to say “thanks”? Click the “ Yes ” box below Did I help solve the problem? don´t forget to click “ Accept as a solution” , someone who has the same query may find this solution and be helped by it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.