Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP STREAM 13-C020nr
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32-bit)

I'm trying to fix my grand-daughters HP Stream 13-C020nr Notebook. With AC adapter connected I still have no LED power light lit. When you push power button nothing happens. I tried a new AC adapter. I also replaced the power jack plug-in cable(the cable that actually plugs into the mother board). Still nothing. My question is, what is the most probable cause of these symptoms? Dead battery? Mother board issue?  On this particular model the battery is inside the case.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi 

Try troubleshooting steps

Here is a document I found called Computer Does Not Start. Please follow each and every troubleshooting step in this document to help narrow down where the issue may be coming from. 

Please try performing a hard reset.

Did you receive any error messages before this happened?

Do you have any blinking LED lights

If you are still in warranty, it would be better for you to use the following link to create yourself a case number:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect
Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"
Step 4. Scroll down and click on: HP contact options - click on Get phone number

If you require further assistance here, I would be more than happy to continue to help you. Please just re-post with detailed results of the troubleshooting, Which Windows Operating Systems you are running. and any other information you think may help me to assist you better. 

Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

If the battery is more than a year old, it could be the battery.

It could also be a failure of the power\charging circuitry of the Stream's system board.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hi 

Try troubleshooting steps

Here is a document I found called Computer Does Not Start. Please follow each and every troubleshooting step in this document to help narrow down where the issue may be coming from. 

Please try performing a hard reset.

Did you receive any error messages before this happened?

Do you have any blinking LED lights

If you are still in warranty, it would be better for you to use the following link to create yourself a case number:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect
Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"
Step 4. Scroll down and click on: HP contact options - click on Get phone number

If you require further assistance here, I would be more than happy to continue to help you. Please just re-post with detailed results of the troubleshooting, Which Windows Operating Systems you are running. and any other information you think may help me to assist you better. 

Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
HP Recommended

Is there any particular blinking lights on the CAPS LOCK button or POWER button?

If there is, there may be a hardware issue depending on the amount of blinks.

You can review this document to find what those blink codes correlates to: https://support.hp.com/sg-en/document/c01732674

If there is no blink code, please read through this document and try the troubleshooting steps: https://support.hp.com/sg-en/document/c01443371

Please let us know about the results of your troubleshooting results. If the unit is still relatively new and within warranty, you may contact HP Support here: https://www.support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp

HP Recommended

I've tried all the Troubleshooting items recommended on the HP website. I'm trying to pinpoint the cause of my problem. I started with some of the less expensive items with a new AC power/charger cord and when that didn't solve it I replaced the power jack plug-in cable. Again nothing. No LED lights anywhere. Won't power on. Next I'm thinking either the motherboard or the battery. There's not much else. I replaced the power button board about 6 months ago. I'd rather it be the battery(cheaper). But I'm not certain how this notebook acts with a non-working battery. If I have the power cord attached the notebook should still power up. Shouldn't it?

HP Recommended

I've tried all the Troubleshooting items recommended on the HP website. I'm trying to pinpoint the cause of my problem. I started with some of the less expensive items with a new AC power/charger cord and when that didn't solve it I replaced the power jack plug-in cable. Again nothing. No LED lights anywhere. Won't power on. Next I'm thinking either the motherboard or the battery. There's not much else. I replaced the power button board about 6 months ago. I'd rather it be the battery(cheaper). But I'm not certain how this notebook acts with a non-working battery. If I have the power cord attached the notebook should still power up. Shouldn't it?

HP Recommended

Yes. It should power on with the power adapter connected.

It appears to be a system board issue.

I see it on eBay for about $50.00 and on Amazon from $35.00.  

Once it is replaced you will have to deal with the fact that there is unlikely to be an activation key for a Windows OS in the BIOS of the replacement system board.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended
unplug the battery here, as seen in the offical HP book, and test it now. batteries can and do short, and cause issues. page 9 actual , part ID 5 http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04501162
NO warranty answers by me.
HP Recommended

I've ordered a new system board since it seems the only thing left that my problem lies here. Do all new motherboards come with a BIOS pre-installed. My old system used Windows 8.1 and I have the Windows Media Installation Tool for 8.1 installed on a USB Flash Drive. I also have the activation code from the old system. Anybody know the procedure for loading the OS from a flash drive for this particular model? I don't remember ever seeing a way to get to the BIOS to change the boot order to install to a flash drive on this model.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.