Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre X360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My wife was using our relatively new Spectre X360 machine when she saw a low power warning light. She plugged it in and kept working. This morning the machine will not start and there are no lights whatsoever. I have searched online to discover this is a known fault with these units and the motherboard is the most common culprit. In case its asked, I have gone through all of the hold down buttons + keys tests (win+B &W + Pwr x 4 secs, etc) I could find in these forums as well as google searches and still nothing. It would, therefore, stand to reason that I am now another victim of the faulty motherboard issue that I can see has been widely known by HP since at least 2016. My question to the community is, therefore, does anyone know if HP has changed the replacement motherboards for a better product than is provided in the original machine as clearly the ones supplied are faulty on mass. HP is aware of this fault yet seems to have kept installing the same boards for the past 3 years? I just want to know if I should I be filing a motion for a full refund under the ACL with NCAT now or does HP have a legitimate solution that does not entail me getting the same failed motherboard that is in my machine right now as a replacement. I bought two HP laptops last year spending just on 4k and now both have failed in under 12 months. I would also like to hear from anyone who has had a motherboard replaced in regard to how long that has lasted? I would appreciate any feedback you guys may have. Thank you.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi @DavidPorte

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I would need additional information to assist you better regarding the issue you are facing with the HP PC.

• I've sent you a private message with the required information. Kindly revert.
  • In order to access your private messages, click the private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile, next to your profile Name or simply click on this link: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage

Keep me posted for further assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have the exact same issue. Surprised it's been known this long and nothing done to correct it. Happened at the worst time for me too, 2days before my University deadline.

Please let me know any solutions they come up with. I don't want to run into the same issue again.

HP Recommended

@computeruser748 Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that the laptop is not working.

Please let me know when you connect the charger to the computer, lights are glowing or not.

Please perform the below steps and let us know.

Please remove all the peripherals connected to the computer, then shut down the computer if it is on and then press and hold the power button and F6 key for around 10 seconds.

If the issue persists, Perform the BIOS recovery.

Press the Windows key and then followed by the key "B" this time and then the power button for around 3-4 seconds, then release the power button and continue to hold windows+B for 3-4 seconds more.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

I have the same issue and BIOS recovery did not work for me. New HP standard battery and AC adapter also didn't fix the problem. The Spectre X360 will not receive a charge, charge indicator light does not turn on when it is plugged into a power source. 

Do to the vast number of people with this same issue I'd have to say it's a motherboard design or manufacturing error  that may have been corrected when they started putting the 8th gen intel processing chips in the Spectre X360. They modified the design of the laptop to where it has "two"different types of charging ports, 1-Thunderbolt™ 3 (USB-C) & 1-HP AC smart pin port (comes with this type of charger in the box).

Note: The Spectre X360 that broke (Product #: X5P15AV) contained 1-Thunderbolt™ 3 (HP Sleep and Charge) port. The Spectre X360 with 8th gen intel processors (Product #:  7CX30UA).

HP Recommended

@DirtyMike2019

I understand your concern and I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP.

They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number.

Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact.

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/First-Time-Here-Learn-How-to-Post-and-More/How-To-Send-A-Private-Messa...

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

HP Recommended

Hi, 

I have the same issue here - my Spectre x360 15t ch000  is not charging, nor reacting on any actions (as hard reset) suggested here. It is simply dead, not switching on as of this morning. No lights when I plug in the power cord. 

I used this laptop for just 1.5 years and I see this is really widespread problem for this model - likely the motherboard. 

I hope HP support will not get me disappointed as I liked my laptop and really expected the premium product when I was buying it. 

HP Recommended

@DmitryH

I have gone through your Post and I understand your concerns

Since this is a Hardware issue I suggest you contact HP Support for Service Options

Click on this link -www.hp.com/contacthp/ and select your Country to get the Contact details for HP Support

Thank you

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.