Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Spectre x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP Spectre x360 256 GB i5 13''  recently crashed to a blue screen, rebooted, and then displayed the error:

Boot Device not found.  

Please intall an operating system on your hard disk.

Hard disk = (3f0)

Since recieving this message, I have attempted the following troubleshooting with their corresponding results listed below.

1. Enable Legacy Boot in BIOS:    The system was then able to boot into windows 10 normally for a short time, but then the computer froze and restarted back to the Boot Device error.  Strangley enough, after the computer stayed off for about 10 minutes, it would boot back into Windows 10 normally until the error occured again.
  2. Clean install of Windows 10 while clearing all partitions:  Upon completing the clean install, the computer booted up showing signs of hope.  I installed all the recommended drivers from HP, and the computer continued to work for a while.  I thought that I had found the solution.   After about 3 days, the device was still working flawlessly until the device suddenly crashed and would not boot while displaying the same boot device error message.  

The current state of the laptop is that it will boot up to Windows for a period of 10 minutes to 2 days until it crashed and displays the error.

Any more recommendations for a solution to the error will be greatly appreciated.  

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support forum. Welcome!

BSOD (blue screen of death) is kind of Windows self-protection feature. If you received a blue screen error, or stop code, the computer has shut down abruptly to protect itself from data loss.

REASON >> A hardware device, its driver, or related software might have caused this error. What you describe could happen because of incompatible with Windows driver (most often) or because of hardware issue (rarely).

In order to troubleshoot, I would need some specific information.

Start computer by using the power-on button and

as soon as you do it, keep hitting the Esc button (like tap-tap-tap) and you will enter HP boot menu. Choose F2 and follow the on-screen instructions to perform System test >>> QUICK test. More information can be found here

>> http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03467259

>> http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03467259#AbT1

It should check these components:

Battery check
    Processor check
    System board check
    Hard drive SMART check
    Hard drive short DST check
    Memory quick check

Hopefully, tests will pass. Please, let me KNOW if they fail.

Do you know how to collect the memory dump file ? This will be helpful to see what actually causes the issue.

Please, configure your WIndows to create kernel memory dump file as per these instructions here:

http://www.howtogeek.com/196672/windows-memory-dumps-what-exactly-are-they-for/

Configure Windows to save the file on C:\  e.g.  C:\memory.dmp

Once ready, reproduce the issue with BSOD and system will reboot.

Upon restart, this memory.dmp file will be created. Please,collect the dump file and UPLOAD it somewhere (e.g. Microsoft OneDrive, Dropbox, Google Drive, etc...) - provide me a URL to download it.  If you cannot upload it anywhere, please let me know and I will check what I can do.

SUMMARY >>

• Perform hardware checks and let me know the results
  • Collect memory dump file
Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

Thanks for the helpful response.  I am currently waiting on the next crash so that I can retrieve the kernel dump.  I will update the thread once completed.

HP Recommended

UPDATE:  The computer has crashed to blue screen at least two times after I set up the kernel memory dump to save to C:\memory.dmp, and upon restarting windows, the memory dump is not in the specified location.  Dp you have any tips on locating the kernel dump?

HP Recommended

Try the default one C:\Windows\Minidump

Check the files (if any) based on date/time

You may also search the whole C:\ drive for .DMP file  files.

Could you take a screenshot >>http://www.take-a-screenshot.org/  of your screen and post it here - actually from Control Panel >> System showing that the dump is configured to go to C:\  ?

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.