Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 Laptop - 15-eb0053dx
Microsoft Windows 11

I was playing a game, (Back4blood installed through Xbox game pass,) and it crashed into blue screen so I shutdown manually. When I restarted there was a notification that my Intel Optane Memory was about to fail so I scanned it but it said it was fine now. I had 80gbs of free space which is about where I normally keep it at(70-130 free gbs) I updated windows, installed updates in the Microsoft store and then downloaded a BIOS update through support assist. When it finished downloading it prompted to restart the computer so I did. I then checked some components in support assist and everything seemed fine. I relaunched the same game and within 5 minutes it crashed in game (not blue screen this time) It wasn't responding to anything so I had to manually shutdown again. 
This time when I restarted it got stuck on the hp logo with the spinning circle screen, I waited more than 20 minutes with no response. I restarted and then it launched automatic repair and then into the troubleshoot screen where it gives me the options to fix start up problems , open command prompt, uninstall recent updates. UEFI Firmware settings. System restore or system image recovery. 
Startup repair doesnt work, uninstalling updates does nothing. System restore says "To use system restore you must specify which windows installation to restore. Restart this computer select an operating system and then select system restore." And system image recovery says "An internal error occurred. The following information might help you resolve the error: The system could not find the file specified. (0x80070002)." UEFI settings just says restart to change UEFI firmware settings but when I click restart it doesnt restart my screen just dims and then gets stuck.
So the only option that works is command prompt. I tried inputting a few different commands that the virtual assistant and support forums told me to, in order to force a factory data reset but it wouldnt work, I also scanned something and it told me 0 versions of windows were installed. 
The last thing I've tried was downloading the BIOS to a flash drive on a separate computer and then followed the virtual assistants instructions. When I had to actually select which BIOS file the one for my system board wasn't there. My system board ID is 86E8 and the only ones I found on the flash drive were 86E5 and 86E7 so I chose 86E7 and it said it was successful and I let it restart itself, but when it restarted it just stayed on the HP logo screen with the spinning circle. 

I restarted again and then launched into boot menu and tried from there running the biosupdate.efi file and it said it was successful and restarted itself goes into the HP logo screen where it says preparing automatic repair and then it goes to the blue troubleshooting screen again.

I also tried using bitlocker , I retrieved the codes from my Microsoft account, the first code I tried failed the second one went through but then nothing happened. There were other codes there but I didn't try them or bother. I suppose that is one last thing I could do though is try the remaining codes. 

I've also laid down to take a nap with it on the HP logo screen with the spinning circle for about 60-90 minutes with no change.

I talked to support on the phone and they ran me through everything they could and told me there was nothing they could do. We ran tests on my memory and storage which all passed.
And that's where I am now, I do not know what else to try. Other than Maybe rummaging through all the files on the thumb drive again, or trying the other bitlocker codes. I've only had this laptop for a little over 18 months but my warranty has been expired since october 2021, they said it would be $400-500 to send it in for repair but I don't have the money right now

Is there something I'm missing? Could i install a fresh version of windows from a thumb drive or something since it said I currently have 0 versions of windows installed in the command prompt scan? 

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi@Malodorou5,

Welcome to the HP Support Community! I'd like to help!

I see you are experiencing issues with the HP Spectre X360 Laptop not booting up to windows. I apologize for the Inconvenience. 

The BIOS can be corrupted during normal operation from a failed BIOS upgrade, or damage from a virus.   

Recover the BIOS using a key press combination. 

Turn off the computer. Press and hold the Windows + b keys, and continue to press those keys while you press and hold the power button for 2 to 3 seconds. Release the power button, but continue pressing the Windows + b keys. 

The power light remains on, and the screen remains blank for about 40 seconds before anything is displayed. You might hear a series of beeps (usually 8 beeps). Eventually, an HP BIOS Update screen is displayed and the BIOS update begins automatically.   

After the BIOS is recovered, a Continue Startup button is displayed and a timer counts down. Click the Continue Startup button to restart the computer immediately, or wait for the computer to restart automatically when the timer reaches zero.

If issue still persist then test the hard drive using HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI to rule out other hard drive issues

1. Start or restart the computer.
  2. Press F2 repeatedly during start up to enter the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI utility.
  3. Select Component Tests > Hard Drive > Quick Test.
  4. Click Run Once.

Once the test completes, results are displayed on the screen.

If the drive passes all tests, continue to restore a computer back to the factory default, which will isolate whether it’s a software or hardware issue. 

The HP Cloud Recovery Tool allows you to download recovery software to a USB drive. You can use the downloaded recovery image file in order to install the Windows operating system. 

Click here for the HP Cloud Recovery Tool (Windows 10) link.

If issue persists then it could be a hardware issue on the PC. 

Please reach out to the HP Technical Support team in your region regarding the service/replacement options.

Click on this link - https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp 

For any hardware issue or repair please click on the link Phone Assist Worldwide

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click on the YES button to reply that the response was helpful and/or to say “Thank You”.

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

Thank you for your help.

When I hold windows and b and power on I get a screen with a blue window that says "The BIOS recovery files cannot be found or the files are corrupted. Using another computer and a USB flash drive, download the latest BIOS file from the HP website and create a BIOS USB recovery drive for the PC that needs recovery. Insert the BIOS USB recovery drive into the PC that needs recovery and restart the PC. To learn more about creating a USB recovery drive, go to the HP website https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02693833."

I tried using a USB recovery drive and it wouldn't work

When I go to the component tests on storage it says "testing all drives. Hard drive /ssd smart check :passed. SSD wear check : passed.

HDD/SSD 1 : SSD INTEL HBRPEKNX0203AH wear level is 3%

HHD/SSD 2 : SSD INTEL HBRPEKNX0203AHO wear level is 2%

Hard drive/SSD Short DST Check : Passed (2: NOT AVAILABLE)"

and then gives me a pass ID and my serial number.

I continue on to the second test and it says 

Hard drive/SSD Optimized DST Check : PASSED 

Hard drive /SSD Long DST Check : Test in progress.......*.. (2: NOT AVAILABLE)

It freezes at 93% with 1 min 32 secs remaining.

So I guess I will try the cloud recovery tool next

HP Recommended

Hi@Malodorou5,

Thank you for responding, I appreciate your time and effort.

The HP Cloud Recovery Tool should fix it. Click here for the HP Cloud Recovery Tool (Windows 10) link.

If issue persists then it could be a hardware issue on the PC. 

Please reach out to the HP Technical Support team in your region regarding the service/replacement options.

Click on this link - https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp

For any hardware issue or repair please click on the link Phone Assist Worldwide

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance.

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

Unfortunately right now I don't have a 32gb USB flash drive, I only have a 16GB one so I can't progress beyond the USB preparation page yet. I will try to get one as soon as possible.

Thank you again for the help.

HP Recommended

Hi@Malodorou5,

Thank you.

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

I apologize for the delay, Amazon took longer to deliver the USB drive than I hoped. 

I managed to successfully make the recovery key USB drive. When i went to use it, my laptop booted into a blue screen with a pop up window saying Application close [info] No HDD. Then it will shut itself down. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for your response.

This looks like a hard drive related issue. Let's run a hardware diagnostics and check this. Here is a link that will help you boot: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/ish_2854458-2733239-16 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. 

Click the “Yes" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping. 

NIRVANA_95
I am an HP Employee
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.