Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 2017 15inch
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My notebook is switching off as soon as I turn it on. I’ve had this problem several times before.The problem started after HP sent my notebook back to me after repairing a separate issue last year, and it occurs around every 3 months since. In the past I’ve been able to fix it by holding windows + b when booting my notebook. This caused a bios recovery process to occur.

However, this fix is not working this time around. I’ve tried using a USB flash drive to restore the BIOS from and this isn’t working either. My notebook is completely inaccessible as it shuts off before booting up.

Does anyone have any other fixes that they can recommend? I would prefer to avoid sending it back for repair given the bad experience I’ve had in the past. 
I’m quite certain that this is a bios issue and hopefully not a hardware one. I’ve read online that people have removed the motherboard battery to reset the BIOS on different laptops, but I’m not sure how feasible this is with my model given that the internal components are a lot less accessible. Any advice would be appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@sk_ -- I’m quite certain that this is a BIOS issue and hopefully not a hardware one.

I disagree. I think that it is more likely that your computer is overheating, and reacting by powering-down, to protect itself.  It is also possible that you have a hardware problem elsewhere: RAM, CPU, motherboard.

Download, install, and run the free SPECCY software. It will tell you the temperature of the motherboard, the temperature of the CPU, and the speed (RPM) of the fan(s). Tell us the values.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply. Perhaps I didn’t explain the issue clearly, so I’ll clarify here.

My notebook is unusable in the current state as, every time I try to turn it on, it switches itself back off instantly. I have no access to it in any manner. 

HP Recommended

@sk_ --- It is also possible that you have a hardware problem elsewhere: RAM, CPU, motherboard, power supply.

It is most-difficult, and expensive, to change the motherboard, based on any speculation that it is the problem.

It is expensive to change the CPU.

It is least expensive to remove all the RAM sticks, leaving just one in the DIMM1 slot, and trying to start it.

Also, remove that one stick, and insert the other stick into the DIMM1 slot, and try to start it.

It is moderately difficult to temporarily connect a "test" power-supply, to replace the original power-supply.

Maybe, it's time for you to hire a professional computer technician.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.