Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre X360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a 13" x360 that is about 2 years old. Model # N5S10UA#ABA. It has worked fine since I got it but over the last week has started completely freezing up. When it freezes it does not unfreeze and I have to hard restart to fix it. It does this every few minutes so the computer is basically a brick now. Extremely disappointing from HP for a 2 year old computer. I don't see any common thread to when it freezes--it has done so plugged in, on battery, in airplane mode and on WiFi.

I have read similar threads and tried the following:

-Updated everything on computer through Windows update and HPSA

-Did an extensive system test on startup (all passed)

-Updated wireless adapter

-Under the device manager/WIFI adapter changed power management to now allow it to "turn off to save power"

-Turned wireless adapter settings to maximum performance when computer is on battery and plugged in

-Disabled panel refresh in the Intel Graphics Settings

This is driving me crazy. Does anyone have any further suggestions on this?

Thanks

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

@bbne123,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

This is a wonderful place to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips.

I reviewed your post and understand that the computer is freezing randomly.

I'll be glad to help you 🙂

Awesome job on diagnosing the issue correctly and performing smart troubleshooting before posting your question on HP forums. Kudos to you on that score. 

In order that I may provide you with an accurate solution, I will need a few more details.

• Have you made any software or hardware changes on the computer?
  • Did you run the extensive test on the computer?

While you respond to that, I recommend you perform a system reset on the computer and check whether the issue is resolved.

Follow the steps in the below article to perform a reset on the computer.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/product/hp-envy-m7-k000-notebook-pc-series/7182778/document/c04742289

If you continue to face the issue, I recommend you run an extensive system test and let me know the result.

Let me know how it goes. Awaiting your reply!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Good day! Take care 🙂

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your help. I did do the extensive test and everything checked out okay. I then performed a system reset. This ran overnight and has been stuck at "Installing Windows 98% Don't turn off your PC this will take a while" for 10+ hours. The computer is now totally inoperable. Please help!

HP Recommended

My computer was stuck at 98% for two days. I had to do a hard shutdown to get out of this.

Now when I start up I get a "Choose an operating system" screen with two options: "Windows 10 on volume 3" and "Windows 10 on volume 3". No matter which one I choose, when I eventually sign in I get a "Location is not available" dialogue box that says "C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\Desktop is unavailable. If the location is on this PC, make sure the device or drive is connected or the disc is inserted and then try again. If the location is on a network, make sure you're connected ot the network or Internet and then try again. If the location still cannot be found, it might have been moved ro deleted."

Did the suggested action above wipe my hard drive?? What can I do to get my computer workign again???

This has been an extremely frustrating experience and I am dissapointed with HP. I have never had a laptop fail this quickly

HP Recommended

@bbne123

It looks like you were interacting with @The_Fossette, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out, I'm the Riddle_Decipher & I'm at your service (Like a Genie without magic powers) 😉 

I reviewed your concern and the entire conversation, did some research and here's what I suggest you do:

Unfortunately, the issue is related to the OS of your device, it seems to have been corrupted due to a system file being deleted or an update that wasn't installed correctly that could have caused the error, nevertheless, the best way to get out of this situation, is to reinstall the windows using the HP Recovery Manager: Click here for steps

If that doesn't work, you may want to obtain a recovery media, that would allow you to create a backup of the existing data (If any) and perform a recovery as it would delete the partition and recreate the same to resolve all windows related issues: Click here for details.

Keep us posted, 

(We shall troubleshoot as a team, fight till the end and emerge victorious)

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

feel free to give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" button.

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you @Riddle_Decipher

I can access recovery manager by booting and pressing F11 but once Windows starts installing it gets stuck at a certain percentage and never fninishes. I ordered a recovery USB drive through HP. Am I really responsible for the cost of this drive? It was after installing an HP update that I started having problems and it seems crazy that I have to pay out of pocket to fix this

Thanks

HP Recommended

@bbne123

Thank you for replying with this detailed response 😉 

I appreciate your time and efforts,

Usually, when you purchase a computer, you would have an option to create your own recovery media using the HP Recovery Manager, only in scenarios where you miss out on creating it on your own is when you need to pay for the same.

If that doesn't work, please use the steps below:

I'm sending out a Private message with the information you need to get this sorted,

Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile 

Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it 

(The reason we are utilizing the private message now, is because the instructions are critical).

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Hello,

I have the recovery drive but the instructions say that this process will erase all my data!

How can I fix this without erasing my data? My original problem was intermittent freezing...after following the advice here I now have an OS that doesn’t work a computer that I can’t log into and I can no longer access any data!!! Everything I have done has made this worse.

How can I determine if my data is still on the SSD? If it is I do not want to wipe it out!
HP Recommended

@bbne123

Thank you for responding,

The option to create a backup, is only available via the HP recovery manager using the discs,

That said, if you are able to access the computer long enough to copy the data into an external source (Cloud storage or External HDD), you may want to do it, before initiating the recovery from the drive as your right, it will wipe out all the files.

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

feel free to give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" button.

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Yet another failure....

I bought an M.2 enclosure so I could backup my SSD before booting from the USB recovery disc (the instructions that came with it said it would wipe the drive so I wanted to back up first).

I then booted from the Windows 10 USB drive using the recovery utility. I made it throught the "recovery manager" electing to wipe everything and start fresh. It made it through this three step process. Then I  got a "software installation" screen which said that "software is being installed". When I came back to the computer the next morning it was stuck on a black screen with an HP logo and a loading wheel which was stuck. 

I then tried rebooting, re-ran the hard drive and memory diagnostic test (both passed), turned secure boot off and legacy boot on, made sure the USB was first in the boot order, and tried the whole process again. Same result. My computer remains unusable as it has for the last several weeks.

This laptop is just over two years old--I am so disappointed with HP. I have followed troubleshooting instrutions carefully at every step and everythign has gotten worse. I can't even boot up now. 

What will HP do about this? Is this really acceptable performance for a high end laptop after this short a period of time? 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.