Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Stream 14", model 11-p091nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This beautiful blue HP Stream got me through 4 years of college but died in my last quarter. I closed it, took a shower, and when I came back, it would not turn on. Since then I've gotten a new HP laptop, but my dad has ruptured his achilles tendon and is bedridden for the next couple weeks. I would like to give him my old laptop, but that means I must first get it to turn on.

I've removed all my SD cards and flash drives. With the AC adapter plugged in, the red light turns on. I press the power button and it turns white for a moment before giving up and fading out. Without the AC adapter plugged in, the power button won't flash white. I've unscrewed everything from the bottom but the lower case does not feel like it is meant to be removed, so I'm guessing taking out the battery is a no-go. I feel like I've tried everything--holding the power button down, holding it with the mute button, both with and without the AC adapter. I've even tried all those things with the AC adapter of my new laptop, but no luck. What do I do? I would ideally like to recover the documents and saved websites on the hard drive, so I would like to avoid resetting the whole system if necessary.

Please help a gal out!

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Parker6 

Document recovery is going to be very difficult if not impossible -- because the Stream does no have a Hard Drive that can be removed.  Instead, it has a stick of memory configured to work like a drive and that stick also can not be removed.

If you took the laptop to a laptop repair facility, they could probably unsolder and remove the memory stick -- but there is no guarantee that they could do that without damaging it, and then you would have the issue of hooking that stick up to another PC in order to do data recovery.  If they can get the stick out without damage,  you should discuss data recovery options with them.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.