Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

HP Stream14-cb164wm screen ( went black), and am receiving caps lock led code 5 long 3 short. I have changed out ram (I have many extra), as well as rand all testing such as Win+B Bios boot, HDMI hook ups everything. Just looking for ideas even if i mentioned them already.

I love this laptop cause it travels with me where as my omen stays home for gaming getting his rest. What should I do look for a motherboard refurbished or what never had this type of fail that i could not manage/...... I work on hardware myself so I'm familiar just reaching out to my HP fam. . Thanks, Kal

Kal

Kal
3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Kalinxxxx 

I know you are desperate -- but a refurbished motherboard is a really BAD idea!

Many folks posting here seem to think that replacing a laptop motherboard, apart from having to disassemble the laptop, is a simple matter like replacing a memory stick or a disk drive.

It is NOT!!!

Before you spend any money to attempt to replace the HP motherboard, you need to be aware of the issues involved with doing that.

First, HP does not sell laptop motherboards except for rare exceptions. If you use this link to go to the HP site and do NOT see your motherboard listed, that means HP does not sell it: http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Pavilion-dv6-6c00-Entertainment-Notebook-PC-series/5191856/mo...

That means any motherboard you buy will be USED, having been taken from another PC. Those often do not work, or have internal problems that the seller does not disclose. So, you need to buy it from a seller that will refund your money if the motherboard does not work properly -- many of them will NOT do this because the item is USED.

Also, the licensed Windows version that came preloaded on your PC is an HP OEM Version -- and that license is tied to the original motherboard, not to the PC owner. When you toss away that motherboard, you toss away the license -- and HP will not provide you a second license. Since the versions of Windows you can buy will not activate with the embedded HP OEM license, you will have to buy a Retail version of Windows, and a license to go with it. You will then have to replace the installed Windows version on your laptop with the version you bought and license it. We are not able to assist in any of that work.

The bottom line is the process is a lot more difficult than simply swapping one part for another.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

.@WAWood 

well Id like to say thank you for the response so quickly I agree with you it was kind of a last minute last opportunity option / idea to get it refurbished one but that being said yes the response was helpful was huge let me ask what do you really think it could be do you think this integrated hard drive motherboard and this HP stream is the issue do you think it's the whole motherboard if you need more details as to all the troubleshooting and such please arrange for some way for us to communicate still looking for help it's for my kid.    

ode is 5 long 3 short caps lock blink it's powering on and during initial power on screen flickers three times and then that's it black after that

Should I go through all of the trouble of replacing power cord battery AC adapter screen etc?

Kal
HP Recommended

IMG_20211028_192912638.jpg

IMG_20211028_192901003.jpg

• IMG_20211028_192854131.jpg

 Question for you just more.  This is under the plate looking down on the system board anything look wrong to you?

•  

•  

Kal
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.