Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP ZBook 15 G4
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi!

This computer has had this problem since delivery.

A few times a day it freezes up, at least most of the time, if we are very lucky it can remain working for an entire day...

Unluckely it seems HP has not yet discovered the e-mail technology so I will ask here if anyone has had the same problem or has any idea.

We have run memtest with no faults, next will be "Hardware Diagnostics System Quick Test".

Bu since it's a computer that is needed for daily use I though id gather a few ideas for this afternoon.

Thanks for any suggestions 🙂

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hey, I just wanted to know, because I have the same problem...did you find any solution?

HP Recommended

Hi!

Sadly not, we tried a bunch of drivers and HP swapped the motherboard but with no help.

In the end we simply did not have enough time to "fight" HP over this...

HP Recommended

Same issue here. managed to lessen the pain by selecting hybrid graphics (from discrete) in the BIOS. have contacted HP support so lets see what happens. 

not expected of a new high end device tbh. 

HP Recommended

Did this ever get resolved? We are facing the same issue with alot of our Zbook G4's. We have tried the following:

-BIOS and driver updates

-Set graphics to discrete in BIOS

-Set power plan to disable "turn off hard disk"

-Set power plan to use max performance for Intel graphics on AC

-Set Win10 battery performance slider to max on AC

-Install Samsung NVME driver instead of default Micrsoft one for the Samsung NVME M2 SSD

-Install Win10 1803

-Full format and reïnstall

Personaly I dont think the problem is related to the graphics. Maybe a cooling problem? They do run quite hot and there are no side intakes, only cooling from the underside of the laptops

HP Recommended

Hi

we did all that too. i managed to narrow it down to graphics card/screen after noticing that during the 'freeze' the mouse is static on the laptop screen but moves around on the hdmi attached monitor.

the problem seems to have dissappeared | changed to a dumbass colour issue! 

set card back to discrete in bios

installed the dreamcolour software

after turning the dreamcolour profile on or off from the taskbar the freezing seems to have disappeared. 

Now after waking the thing up from sleep/hibernation one has to enable/disable the dreamcolour profile as outlined above.

the cheaper elitebooks we bought gives less grief. we do not have for this **bleep**. 

regards and good luck

HP Recommended

Greetings from the UK. I ditched my Macbook Pro 2017 for one of these awesome machines, but when running Adobe Premiere and importing large 4K files or running Rhino (advanced 3D CAD), and sometimes when browsing photos or 4K movies from my camera, it locks up 50% of the time and requires a reset using the power button.

I think it freezes when it's in the slower CPU/GPU mode, because (for example) Rhino slowed down hugely (from displaying my 3D model at about 15fps to under 1fps), before locking up.

I am not technical enough to know how to carry out the suggestions from other users, so if someone from HP can help, that be great. Kudos to HP on what is from a physical design angle, a fantastic bit of kit (Apple, shame on you not creating something like this), and for the lack of bloatware.

HP Recommended

I got my brand new ZBook 15 G4 at Jun 2019 and it is with this problem, too.

I tried all the suggestions mentioned in this thread, but none of them works out.

An observation I found as an alternativ work around is to press power button forcing computer into sleep mode, then wake it up. After that, the laptop will work again for another period, before it freezes again.

I really hate this ZBook 15 G4. A lot of problems just happens sporadically.

The Dreamcolor display will ran into wrong color and display-backlit out of control in WIN10 1803/1809/1903 unless I perform a hardware restart.

The system freezes several time a day.

These two problems remains even after hardware exchanges by customer service. 

For years I have used Elitebook 8540w, ZBook 15 G1, ZBook 15 G2, and none of them makes such problems.

----------

PS. Just during posting this reply, I got 2 times system freeze.

----------

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.