Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Omen Gaming Laptop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP sent me a BIOS update through the HP Support Assistant. It froze the laptop and now it won't boot. It turns on but that's it. I've been told that my motherboard might be fried.

I've tried resetting it and using the Windows and B keys to start the bios but nothing works. Any suggestions?

Also, I'm not saying this to get a laugh but HP broke my computer so shouldn't they pay to have it fixed if I cannot recover it?

Thanks.

23 REPLIES 23
HP Recommended

@Snappy99 

Have you been to your Support page to download a BIOS file to make a USB flash recovery?

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers

BIOS recovery:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02693833?jumpid=reg_r1002_usen_c-001_title_r0002

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

I tried to do this last week but the support page couldn't find my computer. However, I just tried it again and downloaded the BIOS update to my working computer but I do not get the option to Create Recovery USB Flash drive. It just asks me where I want to save the files to.

The downloaded files are there but when I try to click on an application (there are at least two) one of them stops working and the other doesn't seem to do anything.

HP Recommended

Strange behavior-it should offer option to create a usb recovery. Which Omen model do you have? Could you post Model/Product ID? It should be on the bottom somewhere. Do not post Serial number.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00033108

HP Recommended

Try to create USB with recovery BIOS that was before update and restore via Win+B. After this read solved message from this thread 

HP Recommended

@AS_id  @Snappy99 

The procedure you outlined in your Solution on the other thread is very good. However, the direct link to F.51 BIOS for your 15 BSxxx laptop is not suitable for his Omen. We need to find his Support page with correct BIOS before he tries it.

HP Recommended

@CherylG wrote:

@AS_id  @Snappy99 

The procedure you outlined in your Solution on the other thread is very good. However, the direct link to F.51 BIOS for your 15 BSxxx laptop is not suitable for his Omen. We need to find his Support page with correct BIOS before he tries it.

Of course, it goes without saying, but procedure of restore, I think, the same.

HP Recommended

Hi Cheryl. Thanks again for trying to help. 

So the Win+B combination does not work. It didn't work before I tried using the recovery usb and it doesn't work while trying it.

The machine is not booting. It turns on and after about 10 seconds or so the light on the Caps Lock button starts flashing. No sound and no response to any other key combination I've tried.

I have no idea where to go to get the correct bios version. I have gone to the hp support site and put in my serial and part numbers. That took me to a driver and software download page. I opened the Bios tab and downloaded that. I then tried installing it directly onto my usb drive. 

My working computer runs Windows 7 so that could be why I don't get the prompt to create a recovery usb.

I have a feeling that my motherboard is fried (thank you HP). I would cost over $1000.00 to have a service center replace it. I'm sure I could do it myself but I wouldn't know where to get the correct one nor how much it would cost. 

Of course, HP should be paying for it anyway. 

HP Recommended

For your book may be combination B+V+Win+PWR (3 sec.)

Try to download any anover bios create usb recovery bios, erase binari files of bios and change on your binary files

HP Recommended

Hmm. Okay I will try that key combo. I tried Win+B and then Win+V separately but not together. 

Thank you.

Also, I don't really understand the second sentence. 

John

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.