Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
hp elitebook 840 g5
Linux

I've recently started getting a Sure start warning saying that the secure boot keys were changed. See "screenshot"

https://ibb.co/HNDv5zQ

In order to "fix" this issue I decided to upgrade the bios to the latest version. What happened after this is that the BIOS would show the above message and wont proceed to boot the OS. Whenever the laptoop is booted or rebooted the BIOS warning is displayed and there is nothing that can be done.

There is no way to access the BIOS settings with the esc key (any key for that matter). The hard reset key combination is also not responding. When pressing the esc key it says "entering setup menu" but then it simply jumps to the secure boot warning.I've also tried using the Winkey+V, Winkey+B options but without success. I wonder if someone knows the precise combination that should work for this laptop.

The technician at the official HP warranty shop also tried removing the battery, disk and CMOS battery - to no avail. He concluded the only solution is to change the motherboard. Apparently this is not the first time they had this issue with this model.

Did anybody else experience the same issue? Is there any other approach one can try to clear the BIOS or get the OS booting? The laptop is still under warranty so I am not concerned by having the motherboard replaced, I am just baffled that there is no other solution.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.