Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP elitebook folio 9470m
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, 

I wanted to reinstall Windows from bootable USB 3.0 drive.

The problem is that my laptop does not see USB 3.0 drives as boot devices at all - but currently installed Windows see them.

I updated BIOS to the latest version but this didn't help.

I tried all possible combinations of BIOS settings, but nothing helped.

USB 2.0 flash drives are visible, but USB 3.0 aren't.

What should I do to force my laptop BIOS to see USB 3.0 flash drives as boot devices?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@owenT1

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

I've run across this problem several times and the unfortunate answer (unless a BIOS update addresses this) is -- you can't!

The  problem apparently is that the Windows USB 3x drivers need to be loaded to see the USB3x ports properly, and that doesn't happen until Windows is up and running.

It would take a BIOS/UEFI update to correct this, and if there is not one on the product page for your PC, then there is not one available.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Well, this is weird. BIOS usually can't see USB 2.0 devices through 3.0 ports without enabled legacy support, but my situation is opposite. How could it be that HP designed a laptop equipped with 3.0 ports only, but forgot to include USB 3.0 devices support to BIOS?

HP Recommended

@owenT1

Sorry, I can't answer your question ...

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.