Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP bw019nt
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello there. Firstly, sorry for my bad English. Recently I downloaded "Windows Update Assistant" from the official site to update my Windows 10 1909 system to version 20H2. I came to the end of the update with this tool and rebooted the system. After rebooting the system could not boot, it was stuck at the HP logo for a long time.Then the screen started to tingle. That's why I manually shut down the system (laptop user). Then, when I turned the system back on, I got a warning saying "We could not install Windows. 0xC19000101 - 0x20017 The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during the BOOT operation"

When I could not update the system, I wanted to do a clean installation. I burned the official ISO file to a USB and booted from the USB. But just like the update, it stays in the HP logo constantly and reboots itself. For this reason, I can't proceed even to the installation phase. There is absolutely no problem with USB, ISO file and etc. I think my laptop has a problem with BIOS. As I say before I turned off the system during the update so the BIOS may have been damaged.

Secure boot is turned off, Legacy support is turned on. I tried returning the BIOS settings to default but it didn't work. All I want is to boot from USB and do a clean install. I would appreciate it if you could help, thank you in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Nick998 

First of all, some HP PCs can't handle v20H2 due to driver conflicts --but we don't have details from HP indicating which ones.  I suspect this was at the heart of your update failing.

Second, I would try updating to 20H1 and seeing if that works OK.  Here is a tutorial I wrote about how to get an ISO from MS for any Windows 10 version you want:  https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebooks-Knowledge-Base/Getting-older-builds-of-Windows-10-from-Micro...

The build you want is 19041.928

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Nick998 

First of all, some HP PCs can't handle v20H2 due to driver conflicts --but we don't have details from HP indicating which ones.  I suspect this was at the heart of your update failing.

Second, I would try updating to 20H1 and seeing if that works OK.  Here is a tutorial I wrote about how to get an ISO from MS for any Windows 10 version you want:  https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebooks-Knowledge-Base/Getting-older-builds-of-Windows-10-from-Micro...

The build you want is 19041.928

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

@WAWood First of all, thank you for your quick response. I tried with the ISO file of the 2004 version before, but the result was the same. Now I'll try with an older version and report the result.

Best regards.

HP Recommended

Why I can't view  my device WITH my Hp account?

HP Recommended

I just downloaded 1909 version and I can boot the installation USB! Thanks a lot.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.