Did you mean: 
Bdd0055
3 1 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP pavillion wont start, Three long blinks follwed by 5 short blinks

HP Pavillion X 360 convertible

When I try to start the computer the screen stays black. I get 3 long flashes followed by 5 short flashes on the Caps lock button. 

5 REPLIES 5
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
21,068 21,032 1,384 2,215
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Bdd0055,

Thanks for engaging in HP support Forums! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips! I came across your post and wanted to assist you. I understand you are having issues with the computer no longer boots into Windows anymore. Don't worry as I have a few suggestions which should help you resolve this issue.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Did you make any software or hardware changes on the PC before the issue started?

Did this happen after a power surge or power outage?

In the meantime, let's try these steps here: 

Perform a Hard reset on the notebook: A power reset (or hard restart) clears all information from the computer's memory without erasing any personal data. Performing a power reset might fix conditions such as Windows not responding, a blank display, software freezing, keyboard stops responding, or other external devices locking up.

Run a test on the Memory from F2(Please capture the failure ID for further assistance).

If required, you can try to reseat the Memory and then check if that helps.

Caps Lock blinking 3 times could indicate a hardware failure..possibly Memory Module. Here is the link that will tell you about the blink codes..You can try the first step from the link below (hard reset) and check if it helps..

Please follow the steps suggested in the support document for - HP Notebook PCs - Computer Does Not Start and Emits an LED or Beep Code

If you have followed the steps suggested and still having the issue, I would suggest this could be a possible hardware. I would recommend you contact our HP phone support for setting a service for your PC.

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/?openCLC=true

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get the phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

If you have any troubles, let me know and I will do my best to help!

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Bdd0055
3 1 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

There were no software installations or powere surges prior to the issue. I tried the Hard reset and that didn't work. I can't run the memory test from f2 because the escape button doesn't help; I have a black screen and blinking caps lock lights. The contact options only have this discussion community and to call about connecting to the internet. There has to be more help. I bought this computer just over a year ago and right now it is useless. This is the second HP I have bought that has crapped out in under 2 years. If We cant resolve this, I will visit every site with reviews for HPs and describe in detail how poorly they operate, the short lifespan and the horrible tech support. Never again with HPs. 

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
21,068 21,032 1,384 2,215
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Bdd0055,

I have escalated your concern to HP’s Support Team in your region to have it reviewed for available options if any.

You should be contacted within 4 business days (Excluding Holidays & Weekends).

Response times may vary by region.

Please send a Private Message, if you aren’t contacted within 4-5 business days.

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
bautryb
2 2 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

hp pav g7 1075dx,done all the troubleshoots, no beeps and tested ram sticks. back slot-no screen , front ram slot turn on and caps/numbers lock flash either 3 long 2 short or 5 blinks. same ram stick in the back ram slot no flashing lights-only the power and amber wifi lights are on.  still no screen. 

0 Kudos
19,576 14,911 305 1,163
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue by clicking here.
To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire: 
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about posting in the community, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation