Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Spectre 360 13”
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My laptop of 3 years decided to stop working. When I power up the power led flashes slowly. When I connect the adapter, the adapter led does not light up. I tried another adapter but no change. I spoke to HP support and went through pressing the power button for 15sec, pressing power button, windows button and ‘V’ as well as pressing power & windows buttons with ‘B’. No response. HP support suggested a motherboard problem and said they do not support this model anymore plus it’s out of warranty. They suggested I contact EET Euro Parts, buy the motherboard myself and take it to my local computer repair shop to fix. EET Euro Parts does not list the motherboard.

I am upset that a premium laptop that costed nearly £700 has stopped working in 3 years and HP cannot support me. I have valuable work and personal files that I don’t know how to retrieve and will probably have to pay someone to do this, plus buying a new laptop. Having searched the Internet I found many references that the HP spectre motherboard short circuits! Does anyone here have any suggestions?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi
First:- Turn off the computer, press and hold the PWR button for 4 seconds.

Then - Leave only keyboard and mouse connected, disconnect all externally connected
devices such as Docking Station, USB storage devices, displays, and printers.
Unplug the AC adapter from the computer.

Next - Press and Hold the Power button for 15 seconds to Hard Reset.
Rinse and Repeat; Re-Connect the AC adapter.

NOW begin checking/testing/proving the Hardware is fit for purpose.
Power on your PC, press ESC (repeatedly), then F2 at the prompt.
Choose System Tests (Fast Test does a 4 minute hardware check).

OR

This will not work for everyone, but you may be lucky?

HP Notebooks and Mobile Workstations -
No Power, No Boot, No Display When Power Button Is Pressed

NOTE: Be sure the battery is installed in the computer and it has sufficient power before continuing. Due to the design of the Embedded Controller/Keyboard Controller, the power supply must be disconnected and the computer must be powered with battery power to reset the Embedded Controller/Keyboard Controller.

Unplug the AC power from the computer.
Press and hold the power button for more than 12 seconds.
Release the power button (after at least 12 seconds).
The computer will power on and should boot normally after releasing the power button.
Re-connect the AC power to the computer.

NOTE: In case the battery is not charging after performing the steps to reset the Embedded Controller, unplug and re-plug in the AC power again.

HP Recommended

lil boy blue thank you for your answer. I’m not sure if you work for HP or provide answers at your free time. What seems more certain to me is that you used a copy paste response from somewhere that does not address my question. If you read my question, you would realise that I have a laptop and not a desktop. As far as the laptop section of your answer, I have done all these steps during my contact with HP phone support. I was looking for any suggestions outside what I had, and it seems there are none.

The conclusion is that an expensive laptop irretrievably fails in 3 years and HP cannot service it as they don’t support ‘old models’! I don’t think I will trust HP again with my business.

HP Recommended

Hi

" Does anyone here have any suggestions?"

Well if the Hardware passes test, and you have yet to confirm that, then the next question would be for the Flashes to be counted and dealt with.

But because you ran the hardware test (results unknown), then the Main Board must be in working order.  AND it is less than 3 years old, so....

Beep2015.png

Your lack of faith in pursuing a resolution with me means I will say BYE.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.