cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Fix HP Printer issue in macOS

A [software component] will damage your computer message displays when printing or while installing - Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Fix HP Printer issue in macOS

A [software component] will damage your computer message displays when printing or while installing - Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post

HP spectre black screen

HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Since a new update, when I start my PC, my screen goes black and the only thing I can see is the mouse. 

Ps: I can move the mouse, but the rest of my screen is black... help me plz

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Level 1
8 5 0 0
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I have the same problem. I can get to some options but they ask for a windows password when I try to do a restore0, which i don't think I ever set.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 3
12 8 2 8
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I had the same issue it's black for about 5 to 10 minutes after logging in and then the desktop appears, I tried this fix another member posted and it works

Type in msconfig
Open system configuration
Go to services tab
Disable app readiness
Do a restart

Hope this helps
Highlighted
Level 1
11 8 0 2
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I had the same issue on my computer (an HP Envy Convertible, but uses the Spectre chassis).

Your solution worked!   Thanks!!!!  That's after I spent an hour on the phone with HP support, who then told me that it's a "known problem" with this week's Win 10 update, but that  I would have to either call Microsoft (!) or pay $50-100 for HP's Premium  Level 2 support.   This for a 2 month old computer.  I told them I'd rather take it back to Costco for a refund!

Now can someone explain what turning off the "app readiness" option does?

Again, many thanks

Highlighted
Level 1
8 5 0 0
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I restored mine to yesterday, before the update and it now works fine.  Your solution may be of help to me after it reinstalls the update tomorrow.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Success. Is problem unique to HP products? Could not find anything on MS forums reporting problem
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 2
4 3 1 2
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Here is another quick work around. As soon as the black screen appears press ctrl-alt-delete.

Select Task Manager (in detail view), then Services tab.

Select AppRediness. Then right click and select stop. Voila, no more black screen.

AppRediness restarts and all is back to normal.

This quick and simple procedure needs to be done after every login but no changes to system setup is required so it may be easier and safer for some users.

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation