Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WhiteCanid
6 5 0 0
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP spectre x360 13-4005dx will not turn on : attempted a last-ditch mobo repair myself

Spectre 13-4021ca x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I attempted a motherboard repair. Here's my documentation process.

HP, I bought your stuff at a store called S.T.O. Informatique in QC. After the laptop failed after 1.2 years (just slightly pass warranty) I accepted to pay up 400$ for sending it to you guys for repair, and you couldn't even do it (your excuse: no motherboards in stock)

So now after 1 year of this useless brick of a laptop, I attempted a repair process.

Turns out, a schematic dug out on the interwebz reveals usage of 25V rated capacitor on the power stage, with a power brick AC IN at 19V. With shorting burning caps (thus I suspect usage of tantalum caps?) all I can say is... Really??? HP? Your engineers didn't think of putting a 2x safety factor for power surges? Knowing that this failure mode would be catastrophic if voltage went out of spec just for a little bit?

I just want to let you guys know that I'm pretty disappointed in your service level, and I won't buy HP again unless you guys step up your game. Knowing that many people also incurred your abysmal service level for a known manufacturing defect (always the same power stage failing, always the same 3 capacitors shorting causing a blown MOSFET)!

If you guys intend to do something about it, I might be a bit more lenient. But for now, I fully intend to disclose all this onto social media.

Best,

WhiteCanid

DIAGNOSIS IMAGE 1.JPG

9 REPLIES 9
Level 15
Level 15
11,083 10,894 1,121 3,234
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP spectre x360 13-4005dx will not turn on : attempted a last-ditch mobo repair myself

As far as I know, HP has been doing something about it, even if your system is out of warranty.

Its been a known problem with the Spectre X360 and what you have experienced.

But I dont know what criteria has to be met and provided you havent removed any parts from the motherboard yet.

I can ask that someone contact you and discuss it further. If they do, they will PM you via this forum.

0 Kudos
WhiteCanid
6 5 0 0
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

All right, why not?

Let's wait and see. In the meantime I'll probably find a way to fix the battery so that I can run a boot test on this

0 Kudos
Level 15
Level 15
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If you have modified the motherboard already or any other physical changes to the hardware, I wont be able to get an HP rep to contact you. The system has to be in tack as original condition.

Just letting you know.

0 Kudos
WhiteCanid
6 5 0 0
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It's funny

I would have expected something better out of this, knowing that there are paperwork proof that HP actually refused to service this 1 year ago, and back then I was willing to pay the full price for a mobo replacement. Not anymore. Good will is gone, and I can see there is no effort on HP's end for this that much, unless a fuss is made on the internet. Not only that, but it's pretty clear that the HP service offer back in the day, and would remain the same now, is simply: swap the mobo out. Hence the motherboard replacement fee that was quoted to me when I actually sent the X360 to HP, with agreement to pay up!

Time passes by, laptop remains dead, and this is what it's about?

At least, do you guys have those mobos in stock now? How about the battery cells? That would already be something!

WhiteCanid

0 Kudos
Level 15
Level 15
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This forum is volunteer based and we are not employed by HP or connected with Support.

All I can do is forward requests.

In all fairness, at the time you originally had the issue, no recall was in place yet.

Yes, since then they are repairing specific issues to those models with the issue you pointed out.

I get the frustration, but I also understand their stance as well. If a user makes any modifications to the hardware, warranties or recalls are nullified. This is a policy other MFG's also follow, not just HP.

You can look up the part yourself from the HP Parts Store.

Looks like it is offered, you will have to see if its available.

The store services might be down until Monday.

http://partsurfer.hp.com/Search.aspx?searchText=L0Q59UA

Good luck.

0 Kudos
WhiteCanid
6 5 0 0
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Here are the search results:

Battery pack (Primary) - 3-cell lithium-Ion (Li-Ion), 4.96Ah, 56Wh (PK03056XL-PL) . Cost: 141.00 CAD

801506-501 Part is on backorder, quantity in stock is 0   
MOTHERBOARD UMA i5-5200U 8GB W8STD  Cost: 1826.18 CAD

So, I guess HP is playing the APPLE game now. Can't they even sell the parts at original price, that they have to jack it higher than the actual cost of a new laptop?

I guess even that plan is a no-go. Looks like there are no replacement parts at all still. Looks like my loss will be a warning to others concerning HP service.

WhiteCanid

0 Kudos
Retired rick-s
Retired
2,526 2,501 105 380
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@WhiteCanid

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP.
0 Kudos
WhiteCanid
6 5 0 0
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you.

Although I must ask, are we going to discuss the failed mobo and options,

or is it about the circuit schematic info that was removed from the first post for some reason (it's not like your circuit ain't reversable using standard tools, after all you use a regular battery charger IC, and standard FET components)?

White Canid

0 Kudos
TruongD
1 1 0 0
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Going through this issue but it only just happened to me. Where is the stance on this? Are we getting help from the manufacturer? I just want it working again. Sorry to revive an old thread but given how many spectres this effected I’d like to know what we can officially do. 

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation