Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Spectre x360 13-4005dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I bought my Spectre x360 13-4005dx computer late June 2015 from Best Buy. I have used it infrequently but it has been working fine with no errors. The battery was fully charged and it was connected to a wall plug.

I was copying files from one USB hard drive to another USB hard drive. I left it unattended and when I returned, the copying was completed but the computer was turned OFF. I tried the power button many times but it does not do anything.

The little LED that indicates if the battery is charging or charged, when connected to a wall plug, is always OFF.

The keyboard LED is always OFF.

I left it plugged in and tried again after few hours with no luck...

Is there anything to do except to return it or take it to service?

66 REPLIES 66
HP Recommended

Hello @boom23,

Welcome back to the HP Support Forums!

I read your post about the notebook not starting, and wanted to assist you!

Please review the following document, and let me know how it goes:

HP Notebook PCs - Computer Does Not Start (Windows 10)

Please let me know if this information helps you resolve the issue by marking this post as  "Accept as Solution" , this will help others easily find the information they may be looking for.  Also, clicking the Thumbs up below is a great way to say thanks!

Regards!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Thank you for the information.

My computer is the HP Spectre x360 13-4005dx. I searched the User and Service manual and they do not mention how to perform a hard reset. Can you tell me how to do it?

In addition, my computer shows no signs of life at all, even when I plug the AC adapter (all LED's are OFF). Note that my AC adapter works on my wife's comptuter (another Spectre x360).

HP Recommended

Hello @boom23,

Thank you for the quick reply!

The document I mentioned in my previous post explains steps on performing a Hard Reset.

I hope this helps.

Regards!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
HP Recommended

My computer does nothing when I hold down the power button for 10-20 seconds.

Any other instructions? 

Thanks.

HP Recommended

I received no  answer...

It seems that many people have the same, or similar, problem. 

I spent a lot of money to buy two "top of the line" HP Spectre computers (for me and my wife). What is HP doing to correct this situation? Will this problem keep happening? What will happen if my wife's computer develops the same problem after warranty expires?

Anyone from HP???

HP Recommended

Hello @boom23,

Thank you for the quick reply!

Did you disconnect all external connected peripheral devices, such as USB storage devices, external displays, and printers?  Did you unplug the AC adapter from the computer?  Did you remove the battery from the battery compartment?  After pressing and holding the power button for 15-20 seconds, did you insert the battery afterwards, but made sure not to connect any of the peripheral devices?  Are there any blinking LED lights?  Did you try removing and reseating the Memory Modules?

If you are still having trouble, then you may consider contacting HP Phone Support for additional options.  Please use the following http://www.hp.com/contacthp and create a case for your issue and contact HP. If you live outside the US/Canada, please click the link below to get the contact information for your region.
http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

Please let me know if this information helps you resolve the issue by marking this post as  "Accept as Solution" , this will help others easily find the information they may be looking for.  Also, clicking the Thumbs up below is a great way to say thanks!

Regards!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended
Having the same problem. Bought brand new spectre 4 weeks ago, today it turned off while watching video and can't get it to turn back on. Even light that shows charging won't come on.

1 Disconnected all peripheral devices.
2 Unplugged adapter
3 it's a spectre, so built in battery. So did hard reboot pressing mute and power button.

Will try to create a case file, is there anything else I can do?
HP Recommended

Hello @Elexum,

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues, with help from the community!

I came across your post about the notebook not starting, and wanted to help!

If you are running Windows 10, and exhausted the solutions mentioned in the document I provided above, then please use the link provided for contacting HP Phone Support.

I hope this helps.

Regards!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Nothing is connected to the computer. Nothing can be removed. I tried holdiong the Power Button for 1+ minute. Nothing turns ON.

I tried my wife's (same computer) AC adapter. No lights turn ON. No difference. The computer is completely dead.

The computer was connected to AC and the battery was full when it died. I was transfering files from one USB port to another.

I remember during college that HP stood for quality. It is very clear that this is no longer the case.

HP needs to take responsibility for selling defective untested computers. It is clear that my problem is not isolated. I did not buy top of the line computer to have it repaired after a couple of months. This is not right. I will avoid HP products in the future.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.