Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

I'm going to bump this thread, as this is a serious issue that has still not been resolved for me either.

boom23, did you send your device back for repair? Have you got it back yet? Have you heard anything from HP about the issue?

I have now personally returned one device within the store's 30 day DOA return period and had the replacement fail in the same way. This second one was sent back a few weeks ago to be repaired, only to have the laptop fail in exactly the same way again while the technician was testing it. I'm now waiting for another new motherboard and have no ETA on when it will come in.

HP, I'm not happy, and it seems that whatever we say on this forum does not get through to anyone actually employed by the company.

Anyone here know a good way to contact them to discuss technical/engineering/quality control issues?

I have already sent a message through this channel: https://ssl.www8.hp.com/au/en/contact-hp/connect-with-hp.html

This is the reply I received on November 7:

"Thank you for writing to HP Inc. with your feedback. We value your opinion, and we are grateful that you took the time to share your thoughts with HP Inc. We apologize for the difficulties you might have experienced.
We will be documenting your comments which will be reviewed by HP Inc. management."

I don't suppose any others with this issue would like to try something similar?

HP Recommended

Hi,

I just got the HP box and I'm sending it for repair. I wish I could return it but it has been longer than 30 days. This sucks! I am now waiting for my wife's computer to die too...

Good going HP!

Love the new quality control!!!

HP Recommended
I am having the exact same problem repeatedly with my HP Spectre Laptop that I also bought at Best Buy in May 2015. There is nothing plugged into my laptop except a positive charged battery. And it still refused to turn on. I hold the power button down for up to one min and no results. This is outrageous to pay for a high end laptop that has the same repeated problem 4-5 times a wk. THIS IS MY BUSINESS laptop which makes me more angry. Shame on you, Hewlett Packard. (I'm current on technology systems so I will say this all started when my system updated to Windows 10. Coincidence? Headed to see my comp tech again and he feels the same way I do about this Spectre Laptop: a lot of money wasted...not to mention my time. ) Frustrated in Houston!!!!!
HP Recommended
Is your Computer doing better? Was the problem resolved?
HP Recommended

I'm having the same problem.  6-month old 13-4005dx suddenly powered off while I was using it and won't power on.

Tried:

1. Removed all peripherals

2. Hard reset (press power button 20+ seconds)

3. Tried alternate AC power cord (I have two power cords, one at home and one at the office)

4. No lights on at all, completely dead

5. No charging light when connected to power

6. Won't start with power cord attached or not attached

Contacted HP support, they are sending me a box to return for repair.  The frustrating part is I won't have this laptop for 7-9 days, and I need this laptop for my business!  Also, once repaired, I don't know if I can trust this laptop in the future.

Interestingly, the next morning it powered on.  I then attached the AC power cord, and it immediately powered off.  Now it won't power on again.

HP Recommended

Wow, exactly the same problem with my nine month old 13-4005dx last week. I first thought it was something to do with a BIOS update (prompted by Support Assistant software). After the updated ran I received the usual Windows prompt to restart. Did so and stepped away for about five minutes. When I came back everything was dark, including the charging LED near where the power cord plugs in. Tried with and without power cord, and a different (new, 45watt) HP power cord from my wife's laptop. No effect. Reached HP telephone support and went through the same tests, plus the power button+mute key combination I didn't know about. Nothing. So HP shipped me a box, and I've returned it for in-warranty repair. Let's see. I'm glad I bought HP's own three year warranty. It included one-day (next business afternoon) shipping for both the box, my return and the return of laptop to me. It's scheduled to be back on March 29th. Again--let's see.

I'm glad I use the cloud for data storage, but not looking forward to reinstalling W10 and my non-Metro apps.

p.s. When I described the BIOS install to the tech support, he said it could not be the cause as the BIOS updates are carefully tested . . .

HP Recommended
Hope it gets sorted out for both of you. I had to send mine back for what sounds like the same issue. It's been working fine since I got it back last September, but I was hoping to get several years of use out of mine.

If it is the same problem, then the technicians will likely just replace the motherboard and shouldn't need to reset the system. All of my data was untouched.

Make sure you contact hp customer relations too and inform them that this is still an ongoing problem with this model. Random total system failure should not occur as frequently as it seems to. I haven't seen a lot of other forum posts about different models with this problem, but there have been a couple dozen users in the same situation as you.
HP Recommended

Update: I shipped my Spectre back this past Monday afternoon (21st) after receiving the box same day. Yesterday I received e-mail that my laptop was repaired and being shipped back to me, to be delivered Friday (25th, tomorrow). Pretty fast. However the section of the repair status Web page that describes what was repaired was blank. So I don't know yet what they did to fix it.

Final update: My laptop was delivered on Friday as promised--pretty fast. They replaced the motherboard. Laptop started up fine, but I noticed that key OS apps (like Mail) were not showing their usual tiles. Instead the tiles showed the lengthy text strings of I would describe as Registry-entry style data. SFC scan indicated corruption in multiple system files that it could not fix (no, not just the nvidia-related one). So I did a system refresh and everything is fine now.

HP Recommended

I just had the same issue with my HP SPECTRE X360 13-4002DX. Was working fine one day, and the next it was dead. Would not start and no charging light. I tested the charger with a meter and it was fine.  HP had me return the computer, and within 24 hours they had replaced the motherboard.

For those of you interested in such things, the part number for the motherboard is 806318-501. I'm awaiting its return, and I hope that since it was a mainboard issue and not hard drive maybe some of my data was saved.

HP Recommended

To All,

If you are having this problem, chances are, the problem is the power connector broke inside the laptop. The power connector is poorly designed.  It's only being held by 1 screw on one side to hold it.  As such, when you insert the power plug in and out, the whole unit moves until it breaks the wires.

Here's the part you'll need.  P/N: 801513-001

DSC_0019.jpg

You can get one from eBay.

HP needs to fire the designer of this laptop.  It's so sad to see a $1,300 laptop inoperable because of poor design.  How much does it cost HP to fix these under warranty?  How much is the cost to the consumers if out of warranty?  Goodwill cost?  HP's reputation for having poor quality laptops?  A LOT!  It could have been designed much better without additional cost.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.