Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

@BJameson 

You should  be more careful when claiming to have a solution such as this.

I've experienced the same symptoms, ordered this new part, opened my machine, only to find that this was not the fault.

The fault is the motherboard is completely burned out and needs replacing!
HP now (after 3 weeks with them) say they cannot help me as I have opened the case. 

So thanks to uyou for your terrible advice, I now have not only a $1500 broken machine, but now a broken machine that cannot be fixed.

CHEERS

HP Recommended

I should follow up this post with an update. Despite my promise to never buy an HP again, I could not stand the Yoga 900. I stuck with it, though--until it died about three weeks after I bought it. (I feel very unlucky with computers, right now.)  Fortunately, BestBuy sent it in for repair and Lenovo said it could not be repaired, so I got a full refund. That actually was kind of lucky, since I hated it so much. 

The x360 is so awesome (aside from the motherboard simply failing) that I decided to buy the second iteration (13-4103dx) and hope that it is more reliable. But I bought the 3-year warranty from HP for $250 just in case. 

So I now have basically the same machine, with the same specs, that is one model year newer. At least if it stops working now, HP has to come fix it on site within 3 business days at their expense. 

I have to say I am really enjoying having the x360 again--even if I am still quite angry that HP wouldn't recognize the problem with the first iteration and stand behind the machines with the dying motherboards. This machine is so thin, so solidly built, has such an awesome battery life, a bright 1080p screen, and is so fast that it just amazes me. 

HP Recommended

I just got off the phone with HP Support and the diagnosis is just as I expected: I have a dead motherboard. I was using my Spectre x360 and all of a sudden I hear a pop and the computer shutsoff. A hard reset doesn't work; plugging in the AC charger elicits no response (no power on, no LED). All these symptoms point to a blown capacitor, which seems to be a reoccuring issue in these forums. I bought this laptop when it was first revealed at over $1000, and now its dead, just a few months after the default warranty expired. HP, what can I do when this is considered a manufacturing defect?

HP Recommended
That's the rub; HP hasn't made any comments about this being a manufacturing defect. If they did, then surely a product recall would be in order.

Do you have any kind of consumer protection authority where you live?

Did HP support diagnose the fault over the phone, or did you send your laptop away for repair?
HP Recommended

I live in Michigan but I'm not sure what kind of consumer protections the US has. I haven't sent my laptop away for repair yet because they quoted me $499 for the repair and $220 for the warranty that follows, which is a neccessity if I get it repaired. At this point, investing another $720 for a $1000 sounds rediculous. I'm not sure how to proceed. 

My profession is in engineering at another consumer electronic company (think smartphones), and a defect like this is just unheard of; this is a terminal flaw that kills the product in less than 2 years. These forums indicate systematic failures for this issue, something that can be verified through lifecycle testing a batch of units. Laptops are engineered to last 3-5 years...we're not even halfway to the minimum expected life right now!!!

What HP should be doing is what Apple usually does with these issues: extending the warranty for this particular issue. This means they don't have to implement a recall. With 200 posts related to this issue, I can see it becoming the "Galaxy Note" brand-suicide of the Spectre line. Maybe the only way HP will do anything is through a class action law suit.

HP Recommended

I bougth a HP Spectre 13-4005 dx in Best Bau in juny 2015. It is brooken. It was my 3 bad experience with HP notebooks. 

HP is the worst notebook company in the world. HP never again 

HP Recommended

Hi everyone, 

Looks like i'm late to the party, but my 1.5 year old spectre x360 finally had the exact same power failure this week. No power, no LED, nothing.

Now it's a $1000 piece of brick and it's out of warranty. I don't know whether i'm super lucky or super unlucky that my defective spectre x360 lasted me more than one year. I heard that it's going to be $500 for a motherboard replacement, and who knows how long the replacement would last. Nah, it's my first HP laptop and it's my last one.

Shame on you HP.

HP Recommended

WTH, they even asked for $220 for the warranty of the replacement of a defective motherboard?!

That's outrageous. 

HP Recommended

I am so disappointed in this 1500 piece of **bleep** before me! HP, You have stolen millions of dollars from thousands of people, and add insult to injury by charging us to repair your defect?!! Ballsy

HP Recommended
Of course, I just received this darling email from HP:

"Hello,

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums. While we don't take the removal of information lightly, I'm sorry to inform you that your recent post has been edited / removed per our Rules of Participation (referenced below):

Think before you post: You may not use, or allow others to use, your registration membership to post or transmit: "Rants", "slams", or legal threats against HP, another company or any person.

This forum is not a venue for legal discussion. All users are expected to maintain a courteous tone when posting on the community. As this is a peer to peer community, if you wish to reach HP, you may use the contact information found here. Finally, your post has been forwarded to the appropriate team and expect a private message as a reply.

Thank you.

Please do not reply to this email - your correspondence will be lost forever!"

Well isn't that cute?! Lol 😂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.