Honor Student
3 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hard Disk Failed

Envy M6
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

After multiple crashes, I ran a diagnostic test on my lap top.  It said the Hard Disk Smart and Hard Disk Short DST failed (Failure ID:  RLGJMQ-69E873-XD7X1F-60SA03, Product ID:  C2N76UA#ABA)  From reading the forums, I gather I will need to replace the hard drive.  Just not sure how to go about finding a compatible hard drive.  Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
Provost Provost
Provost
39254 39069 6046 10522
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hard Disk Failed

Specs say you had a 750 gig 5400 rpm hard drive. But you can install any 2.5 inch wide 9.5 mm or 7 mm thick SATA laptop hard drive or SSD. 

Your Service Manual

See p. 48 for "how-to". Also look at p. 64 and be sure to open up the little door shown there and see if you have a small solid state drive. This makes a difference on how you go about getting Windows back onto a new hard drive. 

This drive would be a straight up like kind replacement:

https://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-MQ01ABD075-Hard-drive-internal/dp/B00A0L97LC/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_2?ie=UTF8...

Please answer about the solid state drive and together we can figure where you go from here. Do you have the HP recovery disks? Likely not. If you had upgraded to Windows 10, getting Windows 10 back onto a new drive is a piece of cake. 

Post back with any questions. 

FLbeachRN Honor Student
Honor Student
3 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hard Disk Failed

Hello,

Thanks for your response!  I did replace the hard drive.  I also had my original Windows 8 recovery disks.  I attempted a system recovery using the disks.  All seemed well at first.  It did the recovery and software installation.  However, when the laptop rebooted, it went to a screen that said "restoration incomplete, insert recovery disk."  I tried inserting each disk and nothing worked.  I also have a command prompt screen which has proven useless.  When I clicked details, I get a log that says, "P2PP BurnBoot Check Failed."  I cannot get past this screen.  I am totally lost now.  Help!

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation