Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15-u483cl or 15-AU091NR per tech support
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

computer wont start up

give me "smart disk check has detected an imminent failure" run the HD test in system diagnoistics

it then runs to the system dia and i run the HD test and i get this error:

Hard Drive SMART Check FAILED failure id: rlq05l-7spa83-mfpwlk-60cf03

what do i do...hp support says out of warranty (of course) and they don't even want the code...guys says you need new hard drive.

is the hard drive bad?  he said that i have a part 76290005 - 1 terabyte

if that is the case, how do i get my windows 10 back?  i don't know the code to the program...it didn't come with it.  i bought the laptop new. 

i don't even remember the log in anymore...its been like 1.5yrs since this stopped working

thanks for the help in advance.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@elantraXD 

Let me try to address the issues you have raised ...

I checked the failure code and the result we get is essentially what you were told already -- the drive is in the process of failing and needs to be replaced.  The tool we have does not provide any more information than that.

You don't have to buy a drive from HP to replace this; any 2.5 inch laptop SATA drive will do to replace it -- and around here, I can get one from MicroCenter for around $50.

Product keys have not been printed on, or include with, PCs since Windows 8.1 came out because they are embedded into the firmware of the motherboard, not stored on the hard drive.  You don't need the product key if you use HP media to restore your PC -- it will find it and reuse it automatically.

As to restoring your PC -- check into the details of using the HP Cloud Recovery function:

If your PC is a 2016 model or newer, you should see if you can make a bootable USB recovery drive using the HP cloud recovery tool on a working PC.

The recovery drive can then be used to install Win10 and the HP drivers and utilities that originally came with your PC.

Here is the link: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06162205

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.