Post new question
Question

Top Student
Message 1 of 7 (105 Views)

Hard drive Letter C

Product Name: Pavilion g7-1150us
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hard drive letter C change To Letter X , I can't reboot my laptop,how do I change it back to Letter C.

HP Support Agent
Message 2 of 7 (68 Views)

Re: Hard drive Letter C

Hi @Hgeorges,

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums!  A Good day to you. Smiley Happy I read the post regarding having to change back the hard drive's  drive letter. I will be delighted to assist you here.

A stupendous effort, brilliant description and very smart diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you on that score. Smiley Happy You are an important HP customer and it is paramount to assist you here. I also take it as a privilege to share this platform with you. Smiley Happy

For starters, I would require more information regarding this to assist you better.

• Was it changed accidentally by you or did it happen after a software or windows update do you know?

For now please perform these steps and that should do the trick for you.

Here's how to change a PC's drive letters:

• First, you need to get to the Disk Management tool. If you're using Windows 7, XP, or Vista, click Start, right-click Computer and select Manage. Once the Computer Management program is up, click Disk Management. You'll find it in the left pane, under Storage.
  • Make sure that the drive containing the partition you want to change is listed. 
  • Also, check to see if another partition or device is already using the drive letter you want. If it is, you'll have to change that drive first. For instance, if you want your data partition to be D:, but your optical drive is already D:, change the optical drive to something else (say, E:, or OSmiley Happy. That will free up D:, allowing you to make the change you originally wanted.

I strongly suggest that you leave the boot drive (probably CSmiley Happy alone.

Here's how:

1. Right-click the partition you want to change, then select Change Drive Letter and Paths.

2. In the resulting dialog box, click Change.
  3. In the next dialog box, select your desired drive letter.

After you click OK, a dialog box will warn you that some programs may not work. If a problem arises (and I doubt it), you can go back and change the letters again).

Hope this helps.  Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. Smiley Happy  Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you. Smiley Happy

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. Smiley Happy

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. Smiley Happy

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

Top Student
Message 3 of 7 (61 Views)

I can't boot the system but I can gei command prompt,
About what happened to change it just change by itself turn off and then when I tried to turn it back on it want reboot
HP Support Agent
Message 4 of 7 (57 Views)

Hi @Hgeorges,

I read the super quick post. Thanks for the quick response. If you are not able to boot to windows then that changes the whole gamut of things here.

I would like to gather more information regarding this.

• Is it the original operating system that came preinstalled on the computer?
  • Did any app update cause this to happen?

If it is the original operating system that came with the computer, then please run a complete system restore to an earlier time before the issue started from this link: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01835735 and follow the steps in the option "Using System Restore when Windows 7 cannot start normally" and check if this does the trick for you.

If it does not, please run complete system diagnostics on your computer to eliminate hardware issues with the computer from this link: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01443317 Please run the extensive tests and it takes 2 hours to run. If it reports a failure code for a failed component, please make a note of it and keep me informed about it.

Hope this helps.  Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. Smiley Happy  Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you. Smiley Happy

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. Smiley Happy

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

Top Student
Message 5 of 7 (54 Views)

Yes it's the original system,

and I did run the diagnostic all went succefuly,

when I run the repair kit and get to c: \  prompt I only see.   X:\windows\ system32 

Top Student
Message 6 of 7 (52 Views)

When I run the repair PC ,

i got this message drive lock unlock it to continue

HP Support Agent
Message 7 of 7 (40 Views)

: Hi @Hgeorges,

I read the post comprehensively. Great job trying it out. It is greatly appreciated. It looks like you have been using an encrypted drive possibly powered by Bit locker. You will need to disable BitLocker or to unlock or decrypt the drive. Please check this link out for further assistance: http://h20566.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=5045209&docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-c03...  

If this does not help, then please contact HP phone support to try and get the issue resolved.

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone number, Case number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

To simply say thanksplease click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. Smiley Happy

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation