Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Envy m7-k211dx J9K05UA
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32-bit)

My computer won’t boot, I did a system extensive test and it failed DST hard drive 1.  I have no back up and I need a recovery media. The hard drive just makes a clicking sound. Can I download the recover media from the cloud? Can I purchase a usb drive with the media on it? I went through all my paperwork and I have no key code for my computer. My computer came with  windows 8.1 and I upgraded to windows 10. I want to put a Samsung Evo 860 500GB in. Any comments Ian’s help appreciated. Thank you in advance. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yeah, select Windows 10. Or the more convenient method would be to  just use HP Support Assistant.

I used to be an HP Expert. I no longer participate in this community.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello @DP1336,

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like any recovery media is available for you to order for the HP ENVY Notebook - m7-k211dx (ENERGY STAR).

However, you can instead install a fresh version of the latest version of Windows 10. For replacement procedures, you do have the Maintenance and Service Guide, starting from page 62, and you may also be able to find a relevant video on the HP Support YouTube channel. However, without the proper safety precautions and experience, computer part replacements can go terribly. Therefore, if you do not feel confident, I highly recommend you find a technician at a local computer repair shop. 

I recommend doing a clean install of Windows 10.

You can install the latest version of Windows 10 using the Media Creation Tool.

Using a different computer, create a bootable USB with the Windows Media Creation Tool. Select Download Tool now and ensure you have a USB Flash Drive of at least 8GB. 

When running the Media Creation Toolmake sure you select the specifications according to the computer you want to install Windows 10. This means you have to select Create installation media for another PC unless you are using the computer you want to reinstall Windows 10 on to create the tool. 

Insert the USB Flash Drive after selecting USB Flash Drive on the Choose which media to use page.

Let the installation finish. 

To boot from the USB on the computer you want to reinstall Windows 10 on, repeatedly press F9 upon startup to access the boot optionsSelect the USB Flash Drive.

If the Windows installation ever asks for a product key, select I don't have a product key to automatically bypass and activate Windows 10. Windows 10 activation will occur once connected to the Internet.

Let the installation finish.

You should then have the latest version of Windows 10.

Hope that helps.

Please Accept as Solution if this answered your question.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your response. I have a question about the custom install part. The  SSD will come partitioned? And I need to remove all the partitions so it’s all unallocated  then install win 10? All the drivers come with the windows 10 softwares? Is there a way to remove documents and pictures, sticky notes from the old drive? I ordered a cable to connect the HD  to a USB 3 port.  I may have other questions later if that’s okay. Thanks again

HP Recommended

Sorry about that. That was part of a premade response and I forgot to edit it out. The SSD will be empty.

Windows will provide essential drivers but you want to get the majority of them from your laptop's Software and Driver's page here.

You can also automatically install all drivers using HP Support Assistant. Here is the download page for HP Support Assistant. You can find information on how to update your computer using the HP Document here and expanding Update the computer.

You can try to access files using the USB 3.0 to SATA III cable. Since the drive has failed and there may be no use of it, you could also choose to completely destroy it physically. 

Kind regards,

Eddy

HP Recommended

When I go to the driver software page it asks what operating system, I had windows 8.1 upgraded to windows 10 so I would use windows 10 in the drop down menu? Just want to be clear, thanks , be safe

HP Recommended

Yeah, select Windows 10. Or the more convenient method would be to  just use HP Support Assistant.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.