Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
8560w
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hey, for some reason, my laptop wont boot. Its and 8560w laptop and everything seems to be in great condition. Theres a coulpe errors that show  .One being the (Boot device not found, Please install an operating system on your hard disk. 3f0 error) and the other says (Intel  R  boot agent PXE Base  code ( PXE-2.1 build 890) Copyright C 1997-2010, Intel corporation,

PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable

PXE-MOF: Exiting intel boot agent).

The hard drive works and i have tested it on other hp laptops. It has an already installed os so i dont know what the issue is. When i try to do a Hard disk test, it say Hard Disk not installed. Ive tried 2 working hard disk but none works. When i take out the hard disk and connect it to the laptop while it is powered on, the screen just stays on a black light. But when i power on with the hard disk already inserted, the errors still pop up. Please help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

i was able to boot the laptop using an external hard drive but i thing that the issue is because outdated or corrupted drivers. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Update: I'm gonna buy an esata cable and see if it will work if i use it instead. I hope this works. If it does, that would mean there's a short circuit somewhere on the board between the sata connections. If it doesn't work, than i would have to look deeper into trouble shooting. It may possibly be a driver issue or a firmware malfunction. Ill keep everyone updated 

HP Recommended

@Bad_Dipers 

That message means your PC is configured to do a network boot to start up -- and since you probably are not setup to do that, it fails because it looks for an image on the network to download and can not find it.

You have to go into your UEFI/BIOS settings and change them to boot locally from internal media.  An ESATA cable has nothing whatsoever to do with local booting.

If that does not work, then that option could be the default if the drive has failed.

So, let's check that first, because if it is failing, it would need to be replaced and there is no point then in doing anything else until we confirm that.

If your PC is new enough to support UEFI, you can use these steps to test the HDD (Hard Disk Drive): http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00439024

If not, to check the HDD you have to follow these steps:
1) Press Esc key repeatedly, several times a second, while rebooting the laptop. Do NOT hold the key down, just press it over and over.
2) Eventually, you will see an HP Startup Menu
3) Press the Function key for testing the hard drive (usually F2) and let it run.

If the drive checks out OK, then report that and I can provide you options for reinstalling Windows on your PC.

Please note that if your model has an SSD instead of an HDD, these diagnostics might not work properly.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

I have tried this already. The error isn't because of the network boot. When i disable Pxe internal NIC, the media error stops but the hard drive 3f0 error doesn't go away. Ive even disabled all network settings in the bios. Its a hardware malfunction with the components, not the firmware or software. Using the 3.0 usb port or the esata port goes through a different connection then using the internal sata port. This is why im buying a esata to sata cable.

HP Recommended

and when doing a hard disk test in bios, there is no hard drive detected. But when using the same hard drive in a different laptop, the hard drive is recognized and it boots 100%. Ive even tried using a different hard drive on the internal sata port. Im going to boot the laptop through the esata port hard drive, than if that works, ill search the board for any defects.

HP Recommended

i was able to boot the laptop using an external hard drive but i thing that the issue is because outdated or corrupted drivers. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.