Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY x360 Convertible 13-ag0xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have the HP ENVY x360 13 with Ryzen 5 2500U. I recently started having an issue where putting the system to sleep by closing the laptop lid would cause an instant lock, where the fans would start going at full speed, the laptop would get noticeably hot and become unresponsive. In attempting to diagnose this problem, I started running the HP hardware diagnostics. All systems passed, except for the CPU stress test, which causes the same kind of lock up. I don't actually know if the issues are related, but the CPU test causes lockups 90-95% of the time (when it's able to complete, it shows as PASSED).

The behavior is that the fans are running full speed (as expected during a CPU stress test) and then everything becomes unresponsive: the display freezes, the mouse, keyboard, and touchscreen inputs do nothing, and it remains this way until I force power down by long-pressing the power button. When during the test it fails seems to be random: sometimes 16%, sometimes 56%, sometimes 80%. I also monitored CPU temps during the test, and they are mostly in the 70-80 range.

I then went into the UEFI based hardware diagnostics, and ran that CPU test many, many times, and it never failed!

Because this freeze only occurs in one version of the diagnostics and because, when the freeze occurs, no errors are logged I'm at a loss on how to proceed. I did upgrade to Windows 10 2004 prior to seeing this issue, but I have already rolled that back, and it still happens. My device is under extended warranty, but of course, without reliable reproduction of the issue, I doubt HP will do anything.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.