Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Elitebook 2170p
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Help, my HP Elitebook 2170p's BIOS is locked. I recently bought it on Ebay with a locked BIOS because I thought I could fix it without cracking open the laptop. Please help me and thank you for your time

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I suppose yes but I am not 100% sure and I cannot comment on HP policies which are different for different countries - the call itself could be free because HP has toll free number for many countries worldwide. Just contact HP Support and discuss with them all the options available.

I will try to see and update accordingly.

Let me know if you face any difficulties.

edit - I just double checked with my resourses and what is found is that HP chat/phone support for business class PCs should be free of charge (even if your warranty period had expired).  With expired warranty only parts or service will be paid. Of cource if you want something dedicated , complicated or more special not directly related to HP products (e.g. not BIOS password issue or specific Microsoft product issue, for example), HP can offer you paid services like Smart Friend.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @Duy91121

Welcome to the HP Support forum. Thank you for posting.

Most business class notebooks (including yours Elitebook and Probook) have better security. You will have to contact HP Business Support for assistance on removing the password.

Here is how >> http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

>> http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/business-support.html

HP Business support should be able to send you a customised SMC.bin file and instructions which you can use  to reset the password.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you face any issues.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

Will it cost money to call them for help or is it free?

HP Recommended

I suppose yes but I am not 100% sure and I cannot comment on HP policies which are different for different countries - the call itself could be free because HP has toll free number for many countries worldwide. Just contact HP Support and discuss with them all the options available.

I will try to see and update accordingly.

Let me know if you face any difficulties.

edit - I just double checked with my resourses and what is found is that HP chat/phone support for business class PCs should be free of charge (even if your warranty period had expired).  With expired warranty only parts or service will be paid. Of cource if you want something dedicated , complicated or more special not directly related to HP products (e.g. not BIOS password issue or specific Microsoft product issue, for example), HP can offer you paid services like Smart Friend.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.