Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy17-k206na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi people, 

The problem so far: switched on and got hp logo and spining dots, then the screen blinked and I have half the logo, seemingly magnified a little, on the bottom of the screen.

Powered off by holding down the power switch, left it for a couple of minutes and powered on again. This is where it gets interesting, The screen starts flashing quite bright with the logo flashing away with it in the center with horizontal very bright white lines, then eventually settles with half the logo showing along the screen bottom.

Now the fingerprint reader flashes normally and accepts my print. Nothing happens, then the screen goes black.

I can get into recovery - the windows one as the hp one only shows about half of the options, (pressing f11 during, whatever its doing ,when it should be booting). Pressing esc then f2 does nothing, 

Tried back up as I have recovery media, nothing happens. In windows repair can get into bios via command prompt and it will do various checks, but nothing comes of this. cannot get hp repair as as the screen will not show it all and can't scroll. Can't get to any other settings as screen won't scroll and appears magnified.

Tried everything but nothing so far helps.

Any ideas? or just get a new one. Warranty well out. Thanks in advance.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@DRinn1 

If it was a problem with Windows not booting, that could be fixed by reinstalling it -- but the HP logo is contained in the firmware in a chip on the system board and that chip is not replaceable.

You can try following these instructions to see if you can  recover the BIOS code:  HP Desktop PCs - Recovering the BIOS | HP® Customer Support 

But if that does not work, the laptop is basically done.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.