Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Hp17-e110dx
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

HP 17-e won't power up.  Original problem was booting to HP logo and then black screen forever. 
Reset the BIOS,  run recovery.  Same problem.  Disassembled and cleaned major lint buildup
on processor cooling fins and fan.  Reassembled and then no response to power button.  Disassembled
again and checked all connectors. Replaced power button board due to klutz episode during
reassembly.  Triple-checked proper connection of all cables/connectors.  Still no response.
Charging indicator glowing steady white when charger plugged in.  No flashing or changing
color.   Tried hard reset: pull battery and charger cord, hold power button for 2 minutes. 
Still no response. Charger showing 19.3 volts at plug and also where power cable plugs into
motherboard.  Battery shows 11.3 volts.  Anybody know where I could get a schematic and/or
component test procedure?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @PappyGoodwill ,

Thank you for responding,

It's great to have you back 😉

It looks like you were interacting with @MKazi , but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out, 

I'm the Barachiel & I'm at your service.

If that's the case, I'd request you to contact HP's phone support team for further assistance.

HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:  Open link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/ Enter Product number or select to auto detect 

Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options" Scroll down and click on HP contact options - click on Get a Case & phone number.

They will be happy to assist you immediately. If the unit is under warranty repair services under the manufacturer's warranty will be free of charge.

Best regards,

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi @PappyGoodwill,

Welcome to HP Forums, 

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips, 

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂

I understand that the computer is not turning on.

Don't worry I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Did you run a hardware test to ensure there aren't any hardware failures as such?

Have you reset the computer to release excessive static?

However, follow the HP Guided Troubleshooter to fix the issue.

If the issue persists, click here for more troubleshooting steps.

Keep me posted, how it goes!

If the information I've provided was helpful.

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

One of the first things I did was run the hardware self-diagnostic test.  It showed no problems.  I
have tried the hard reset: pulled the battery and power cord and held the power button for
a full five minutes. No change.   After leaving the charger cord plugged in overnight, I
tried powering up. Power button white LED and F12/Wifi orange LED light up.  Screen
backlight comes on, but it all only lasts about 3 seconds.  I'm wondering if the battery is
not charging/bad and I'm just getting a very weak residual charge.  I have yet to get it
powered up to see if I still have the original problem.  Are you aware of a pin-out diagram
I can look at for the battery?

HP Recommended

@PappyGoodwill

Hi,

as @Raj1788 is out of the office today, I'm replying to you. You've done a remarkable job performing the steps. 

Have you tried to remove the battery out and tried to power on the laptop using only the charger? If this also does not make a difference then there is an internal failure with the motherboard too. 

I recommend you to reach out to our HP phone support team to explore the hardware service options for your HP laptop.

Keep me posted if you have any further questions. Good luck! 🙂

HP Recommended

Yes, I've tried to boot without the battery in.  Now, there is something different.  The LED on the charger port is now orange instead of white.  I'm going to be optimistic and suspect that this means the battery is  (finally)  charging.  Am I correct in my understanding that the batteries have controller chips in them and sometimes need to (be) reset? 

HP Recommended

Hi @PappyGoodwill ,

Thank you for responding,

It's great to have you back 😉

It looks like you were interacting with @MKazi , but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out, 

I'm the Barachiel & I'm at your service.

If that's the case, I'd request you to contact HP's phone support team for further assistance.

HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:  Open link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/ Enter Product number or select to auto detect 

Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options" Scroll down and click on HP contact options - click on Get a Case & phone number.

They will be happy to assist you immediately. If the unit is under warranty repair services under the manufacturer's warranty will be free of charge.

Best regards,

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Evidently, the motherboard is kaput. I pulled the hard drive and connected it to my PC via a USB/SATA adaptor.  The only thing showing is the recovery sector.  I'm going to try to find software to open up the recovery and extract the music, pictures and documents.  Do you know if the Windows version/manufacture date are factors in choosing the software?  If so, would you be able check the manufacturing records to tell me the version/date?

Thanks.

HP17-e110dx

Serial [edited]

Product F9L87UA#ABA

HP Recommended

Hi @PappyGoodwill ,

Thank you for replying with this detailed response 😉 

I appreciate your time and efforts,

HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: Open link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/ Enter Product number or select to auto detect.

Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options". Scroll down and click on HP contact options - click on Get a Case & phone number.

Best regards,

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.