Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Hp Pavilion DV6 6165tx
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

HELLO HP

I am a new member to this forum.

Unfortunately I am having a really big problem.

I updated my windows,and it unpacked on the next boot.  Started good.  And then it froze.  I manually restarted the laptop.  It showed me a blank screen.  Nothing written on the screen.   I have tried every combination of keys. No use.  It only beeps on every keypress.   Tried hard reset, No use.  Swapped RAM, no use.  Removed CMOS and put back, no use.  When I press window+b key before startup, my capslock blinks.  

Please somebody help me. Iam really getting frustrated for so many days...

• English

Didn't find what you were looking for?ASK THE COMMUNITY

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hello sir,

Iam a new member to this forum.

Unfortunately I am having the exact same problem.   I updated windows and it unpacked on the next boot.  Started good. And then it froze.  I manually restarted the laptop.  It showed me a blank screen.   I have tried every combination of keys. No use.  It only beeps on every keypress.   Tried hard reset. No use.  Swapped RAM, no use.  removed CMOS and put back, no use.  When I press window+b key before startup, my capslock blinks.

Pleade somebody help me. Iam really getting frustrated for so many days... 

HP Recommended

Hi,

If you turn off the PC by holding the power button. Turn on the PC and continuously keep pressing ESC are you able to get to the Startup Menu?

Let me know,

David

HP Recommended

Hi david,

Thank you for replying.

Iam not able to do that.   I get a beep every time I press esc.  Or any other key for that matter..

HP Recommended

Hi david,

So today I had luck with my hp dv6. It finally started.   Performed a disk chekup by itself before startup.  No error came in it.   I performed both the two scans given in the recovery menu. The memory check and the other one.  They passed as well with no errors.

When I finally logged into my laptop it worked fine for some minutes. But after I opened some folders it got frozen.  Nothing was working.

I had folder icons for my main folders. They are missing.  It never happened before.    Is it a HDD fault?? Or a Virus..??  It all happened after the updates. If so..  what should I do now..?? Is there any way to fix it... Please guide me.. 

HP Recommended

Hi @VimHarry

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Try these steps to test the hardware - 

1. Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.
2. Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.
3. On the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu, click System Tests.
4. Click Extensive Test.

If the test passes, try restoring the computer - 

1. Shutdown the computer.

2. Turn the computer back on again and repeatedly tap on the ESC until a Startup menu appears.

3. Press F11 once for System Recovery.

4. Choose the Keyboard Layout.

5. Click on Troubleshoot.

6. Go to Recovery Manager and click on System Restore.

7. Choose a Restore point or a Restore date when the computer was working fine.

8. Click on OK to initialize the System Restore.

If the issue still persists, try re-installing the operating system - 

1. Shutdown the computer.

2. Turn the computer back on again and repeatedly tap on the ESC until a Startup menu appears.

3. Press F11 once for System Recovery.

4. Choose the Keyboard Layout.

5. Click on Troubleshoot.

6. Go to Recovery Manager and click on System Recovery.

Note : System Recovery will delete everything that you had saved or installed on the computer.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello Mam,

Thank you for replying.

I have tried the above steps when I was able to access those.

Now I can't even access those options.  Whenever I start my laptop it just shows me a blank screen with lights on power, wifi, and touchpad.  Any key I press gives me a beep. If I leave it, it will run for hours like this.

There is one hardware problem I recently found out myself.  The place where CMOS battery is fixed has broken out of the motherboard.

That gives an error about CMOS battery not found and I understand this problem.  Can this be the reason of laptop freezing in between running tasks?? And leaving me in the blank screen state..??   

I am really confused.. please help.

HP Recommended

Hello mam,

I ran a primary hard disk full self test on my laptop. It showed an error saying "Hard disk 1 fault".    SMART test passed.

Can this be the reason of the sudden freezing of my laptop?

Please tell me is there any way to fix this fault..??

HP Recommended

Hi,

Yes, the har drive failure can cause freezing of the PC. In any case if you received a failure id for the hard drive, you will need to replace it and reinstall the OS on the new drive.

On page 62 of service manual you can see the steps to replace the drive

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02842252

What you need is a 2.5" SATA3 HDD of your preferred brand or you could use a cheap 2.5" SSD for a performance boost.

Hope it helps,

David

HP Recommended

Hi David,

Thank you for replying.

So you are saying there is no way to correct that error or fault..?  Is it like a physical damage..?  Has this got anything to do with some bad sectors in my hard drive( I scanned for them and found 3 or 4).

But bad sectors  are automatically marked unusable and you can still use the disk as usual with slight less memory..

I was hoping if there was anyway to find out what the fault is and try to fix it..

Hope you would help me on this..

Thanks and regards.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.