Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Hp laptop keyboard and onscreen keyboard unresponsive at start up login. I’ve tried restart, Esc key, F keys.  I am only able to access via Microsoft startup when I say I forgot my password.  Just did recent update and restart.  Still Same problem.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Sstellhorn1

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:

• Did this happen after a recent window or software update?
  • Have you made any hardware/software changes?
  • What is the operating system?
  • What is the product number of your device? Use this link to find it: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03754824

Keep me posted for further assistance.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

It happened after I had not been on my computer for about a month.  No hardware or software changes.

Sstellhorn1_6-1648439744608.png

Sorry,not sure if you can read this.  NOt sure how to attach a file here.

HP Recommended

@Sstellhorn1

Thank you for posting back. 

I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

Hard Reset: Follow steps from the link: https://hp.care/2GnkMa8. (Refer to the removable and sealed battery)
BIOS default:(do not skip any troubleshooting steps even if you feel steps are repeating)

1. Turn off the computer and wait five seconds.
  2. Press the Power button to start the computer and repeatedly press the F10 key to enter the BIOS setup menu.
  3. On the BIOS Setup screen, press F9 to select and load the BIOS Setup Default settings.
  4. Press F10 to Save and    Exit.
  5. Use the arrow keys to select Yes, then press Enter when asked Exit Saving Changes?
  6. Follow the prompts to restart your computer.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I went through all of the steps and thank you, they were very clear.  This did not solve the issue.  

When I turn on the computer, it provides my name and the space in which to type my PIN.  When I being typing my PIN--which begins with one capital letter and is followed by 4 small case letters, 2 numbers, and 1 special character--the only characters that are recognized and that asterisks show up for are the numbers.  Therefore the keyboard is being recognized for those two number keys, only.  I then click on "forgot my PIN", and have been logging in via Microsoft and they send me a code number to my gmail to help me get in, and then it warns me if I change my PIN, that is will change across all things in my Microsoft account.  I have not changed my PIN for this reason.  Do I need to just go ahead and change my PIN?

I appreciate you taking the time to help me.  Thank you sincerely, Steph

HP Recommended

@Sstellhorn1

Thank you for posting back.

I appreciate your efforts to try and resolve the issue. 
The last thing I can suggest try and restore the OS back to the factory default, which will isolate whether it’s a software or hardware issue.  The HP Cloud Recovery Tool allows you to download recovery software to a USB drive. You can use the downloaded recovery image file in order to install the Windows operating system. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.