Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Unknown

This morning my laptop screen wouldn't come on. You can hear the laptop boot up and the appropriate lights come on on the keyboard, however the screen stays black. I've tried multiple responses and 'solutions' I've seen on other forums regarding restarting the laptop in order to try get the screen to work. None of them work and I'm not sure what else to try. 

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Robscluer
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

• What is the product and serial number? Use this link to find it: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03754824
  • Have you made any hardware/software changes?
  • Did this happen after a recent window or software update? 
  • What is the operating system?

Keep me posted for further assistance.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

and I'm not sure about the exact name of the product. I haven't made any changes or updates recently before this happened. The operating system is windows 8. 

HP Recommended

@Robscluer Here's what you need to do, to identify the issue and resolve it accordingly:

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Sadly connecting to an external screen didn't work. I think they might be a bigger problem like my actual screen being broken maybe. I've had the laptop for about 8/9 years now so it might just be a malfunction. I'm not sure what else to do besides take it in to someone to have it fixed. 

HP Recommended

@Robscluer If it didn't work on an alternate/external monitor either, that would mean there's an issue with the motherboard/graphics card, if its over 5yrs the device would be considered obsolete, hence you may not be able to get the device repaired via HP, instead, you could get the part number of the defective device using the HP service and maintenance guide (use this link to locate your model name and search for the guide on google), and order the part online via the HP Parts Store or the local online stores such as eBay, Amazon, etc...however, replacing the entire motherboard, could cost a lot, hence I would personally suggest getting an upgrade or a new laptop instead.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.