tetris_654 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hp laptop stuck on HP loading/booting up screen

I have a HP G42, its an old model but it does its job. Yesterday I was watching some videos and after pressing the F2 key to decrease the brightness of the screen, the screen went black, but i could still hear the video playing. After turning it off, I turned it on and i was greated, as usual, with the loading screen (HP logo in the middle of the dcreen and some text in the bottom left that sayd something like- press ESC for boot up screen). But the screen wouldnt go away to continue with the boot up. Pressing the ESC, F1-12 nothing happens, only the text in the bottom changes to something like- "F2 Starting report screen...". Tried taking out the battery and unplugging it, didnt work. Then i unplugged the battery and power plug and i pushed the power up button for 30 seconds, still didnt work. What could this be?

1 REPLY 1
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
12747 12732 824 1414
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hp laptop stuck on HP loading/booting up screen

@tetris_654

Thanks for reaching out to us on HP Support Forums. :) 

I understand that you have an HP G42 laptop and it does not boot into Windows. The only message you see is "F2 Starting report screen..." You have tried pressing the Esc, F10, F11, etc. keys but it did not work. I appreciate the steps you have performed and have certainly done a good job.

I read that this issue started after you reduced the brightness while watching a movie. I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix: 

• Ideally, if we hit the Esc, F10 or F11 keys at the initial boot up, the laptop should take us to the Esc menu, BIOS or recovery partition. If none of the keys are working then I suggest you to try performing a BIOS recovery on the laptop using the steps from this link: http://hp.care/2bXONjA.

Feel free to let me know how it goes. I will assist you further. Cheers! :)

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation