Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Hp split x2
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
Hi.
I have a hp split x2 and, unfortunately, the primary hard drive (a msata ssd that is located in the back of the screen) has failed.
I tried to install windows 10 in the secondary hard drive located in the keyboard base. However, the installed windows is not recognized when I turn on the computer.
So my question is: is it possible to the computer reconigze the secondary hard drive in the base during boot? Or the only way is to buy a new ssd for the screen?

I appreciate your help!!
Thank you!
5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi! @ricardosantos, Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community!

I understand the primary hard drive on your PC has failed and you need to know if you can boot from the secondary hard drive on the keyboard base.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your PC?

Do you get any error message on your PC during the startup?

As you mentioned the primary hard drive on your PC has failed and you need to know if you can boot from the secondary hard drive on the keyboard base.

Since your laptop was shipped with a 32 GB eMMC, Which is not an expandable memory. You cannot boot from the secondary hard drive connected to the keyboard base.

However, try restoring the BIOS to default and check if it helps.

1. Turn off the computer and wait five seconds.
  2. Press the Power button to start the computer and repeatedly press the F10 key to enter the BIOS setup menu.
  3. On the BIOS Setup screen, press F9 to select and load the BIOS Setup Default settings.
  4. Press F10 to Save and Exit.
  5. Use the arrow keys to select Yes, then press Enter when asked Exit Saving Changes?
  6. Follow the prompts to restart your computer.

Also, try running a system diagnostics test on your PC and check if the hardware components on your PC are functioning correctly.

Refer this article to know more information about running system diagnostics on your PC.

Refer this article to further troubleshoot hardware issues with your PC. Link: https://support.hp.com/ie-en/document/c00480479

If the diagnostics test fails, please contact HP support for service options.

Link to contact HP.

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Hope this answers your query!

Have a great day! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi MrRobot,

First of all, thank you for your reply.

I found a workaround for this problem. In fact, it is possible to have a windows installed in the secondary hard drive. I created an bootable USB flash drive to redirect the start up and inicialize the windows installed in the hard drive.

Although it is not the greatest solution, it is working fine for me.

Thank you for your attention and your reply.

Ricardo

HP Recommended

@ricardosantos, Thanks for your quick response and time.

I appriciate your efforts for writing back to us.

As you mentioned you did make a bootable USB flash drive and installed the operating system on the secondary hard drive.

I'm glad to know that your issue got resolved. 

If you have any queries in future related to any HP products, you can always reach out to us.

We will try our best to help you out.

Take care,

Have a great day! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello Ricardo.

I am facing the exact same issue right now kindly give a rundown of the steps you took to resolve the problem.

Thanks

HP Recommended

@Strong-Vato Did you go through all the steps suggest in the OP: click here to verify, if the issue persists, after you've been through all the steps, I suggest you to provide the results of the h/w tests suggested on it and also, include the below information:

Note: Please ensure the complete product name/number for a quicker response from the community, as we need to know what we are dealing with to provide an accurate solution: 

Click here for steps on finding the information we need!

Remember: Do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc.

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.