Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion dv9700
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have problem disable Secure Boot.

So, yeah i want to install Windows XP Pro 64-bit  on my HP Pavilion dv9700.

I see the page about on how to disable Secure Boot but for some reason when i open the boot options, i didn't found something about Secure Boot.

What i did:

-Restart the computer and go to the System Configuration.

-Update the BIOS again!

Please, help me!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Your notebook does not have a UEFI BIOS, so there is no secure boot feature to disable.

If your notebook has an Intel processor and chipset, you need to install the applicable sata achi driver in order to install  Windows XP.

See the link below, read the Intel section and then read the downloadable document for how to slipstream all of the drivers.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/SATA-drivers-for-XP-solution-on-...

If your notebook has an AMD processor and nNvidia chipset, you should just be able to install XP with no problem.

For Intel, you would need the XP 64 bit drivers to slipstream which I have zipped up and attached below.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Hi:

Your notebook does not have a UEFI BIOS, so there is no secure boot feature to disable.

If your notebook has an Intel processor and chipset, you need to install the applicable sata achi driver in order to install  Windows XP.

See the link below, read the Intel section and then read the downloadable document for how to slipstream all of the drivers.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/SATA-drivers-for-XP-solution-on-...

If your notebook has an AMD processor and nNvidia chipset, you should just be able to install XP with no problem.

For Intel, you would need the XP 64 bit drivers to slipstream which I have zipped up and attached below.

HP Recommended

For some reason i got this error:

"Make sure that the selected folder or drive contains the 'i386' or 'AMD64' directory and proper Windows Installation files. nLite is for a pre-install environment only, meaning that is cannot modify an existing Windows installation. An easy way is to insert your Windows installation CD and select your CD drive. Never copy the files directly to a partition root, create an empty folder first."

And yes im using Intel processor.

Help?

HP Recommended

Hi:

Unfortunately, I wouldn't know why you are getting that error.  I followed the instructions way back when, and had no problems.  I make two XP disks using that process...one for XP 32 bit and one for XP 64 bit.

If you have a USB Floppy Disk drive, you can also use that to install the driver you need.

Copy the files in that folder I zipped up onto a floppy drive.  Just the files, not the folder.

Hit the F6 key during the windows installation setup when asked if you need to install a RAID driver.

Windows XP will continue to install, and then it will stop and ask you to select the sata driver you need to install.

You use the up/down arrow keys to scroll to and select the Intel(R) ICH8M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller from the list.

They won't be in order so you may have to use either the up or down key to find the correct driver above.

Leave the floppy drive connected the whole time during the XP installation process because it will install more files from that disk during the process.

I removed it once at the beginning and the installation failed because it was looking for files off the FDD.

HP Recommended

Hi

can i ask some last questions.

-In the "Locating the Windows Installation" should i use the driver64 you give me or the Windows XP 64-bit installation from microsoft.com?

If i need to install windows the file from microsoft then what should i do with driver64 you give me?

- Does SP1 Required because it said that SP2 is superseed it or something like that? Its important?

Best cheers.

HP Recommended

Hi:

When you are asked to press the F6 key to install a sata raid driver, you would use the drivers I posted.

You can upgrade to XP x64 SP2 after you install XP.

I just installed XP x64 on one of my desktop PC's a week ago, and I was able to go right to SP2.

I did not need to install SP1.

HP Recommended

Hi

can you say it with steps what i have to do on nlite (Windows XP Pro 64-bit) because im come from Greece and my knowledge with english isn't perfect.

Sorry if this is rude for you.

Cheers

HP Recommended

Hi:

Unfortunately, I would not be able to explain the process any better than what the person did in that document you can download.  

It has step by step instructions with pictures.  Just follow each step carefully.

HP Recommended

Im sorry to say this but without help i can't install it. I know i should watch the document but even i watch it i get the same error again and again. So this is a problem that can't be solved (atleast for me). I actually thought that i can did it but its pretty hard.

Anyway, its now unsolved , so, if there isn't anything to say, you are allowed to close the topic.

HP Recommended

Get yourself a USB floppy disk drive and use that to install the driver.

It is as easy as pie to install the driver that way.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.